Dive Insurance other than Dan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimbo64

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
First I dive infrequently. Paying for Dan is pretty expensive per dive if I only dive 4 days per year. I have heard about dive insurance through InDepths organization in the UK and Dive Master is the insurance company. It is out of the UK and based on a per day rate. Seems like a lot of dive locations sell it directly to their customers.

My question to Scuba Board members is: Do you have any direct or indirect experience with Dive master insurance through the InDepths organization? It seems a lot more reasonable for myself and my two adult sons. Price for our trip would be about $75 USD as opposed to at least $300 USD through Dan. I really don't like diving w/o dive insurance but $300+ added to 5 days in Coz seems a bit too much. Please help, thanks.

Jim

Can't help with your particular question, but my 2c says that whatever answers you get, don't let cost stop you from getting SOME dive insurance. Yes, if you don't use it it will FEEL like money wasted. But if you DO need it...

Read the fine print for whatever you get. It's hard to beat what DAN USA covers with its Master/Preferred plans.

Just floating this to the top of the list hoping that someone has experience with this insurance.
Thanks,
Jim

Since you are planning to use it in Cozumel, you might want to contact folks there, perhaps at our resort or dive op, and ask them directly if they've had any experience with that insurance company.

I once was leading a trip to Bonaire, we had a DCS incident on a boat trip, the boat gave the person O2 and radioed ashore for the ambulance, and when we got to the dock the only thing the EMTs wanted to know was the diver's DAN number. Not was their insurance company or even if they had insurance....they asked for the DAN number. That impressed the heck out of me.

I thought the highest level "preferred plan" was $75 per person. For the three of you that is $225.

I always throw this in: Check what your regular medical "out of the country" policy (if you have one) covers regarding diving (if anything). If you have coverage, then check out what's available medically-- and how far away-- (chamber, etc.) where you're going. At only 4 days of diving per year it's at least worth looking into.

Back
Top Bottom