Building up lung strength / capacity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Progen

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I'm a bit of a fitness freak although I'm nowhere near ironman level but I was wondering whether setting the 2nd stage to the lowest setting (greatest effort required) would be a good way to give my lungs a workout assuming that I'm not task loaded underwater. It's probably not conclusive but I seem to be getting better mileage per tank now that I've found a new love for running plus I still work out with weights before going onto the treadmill for anything from 3 to 10km each time so perhaps I can continue this 'lung training' thing on dives as well?

Why? You want to be getting as much air as possible from your regulator if and when you need it. If you are using too much air (compared to others) and you are fit, then the problem is probably that you need to relax.

A while back I was swimming regularly and at first my SAC rate went up. Realized that even though I was getting in better condition, I had transferred my swimming laps breathing to my diving. Like clowfishsydney says. Relaxed and deep breathing.

So I'm a bit of a fitness freak although I'm nowhere near ironman level but I was wondering whether setting the 2nd stage to the lowest setting (greatest effort required) would be a good way to give my lungs a workout assuming that I'm not task loaded underwater. It's probably not conclusive but I seem to be getting better mileage per tank now that I've found a new love for running plus I still work out with weights before going onto the treadmill for anything from 3 to 10km each time so perhaps I can continue this 'lung training' thing on dives as well?

Cardiovascular fitness (from running, etc) is different than "lung strength/capacity."

You're making your body more efficient via exercise (while on land) which is the best way to approach this.

You actually can't do anything to increase lung strength/capacity anyway, unless you're starting from a compromised state in the first place.

Aerobic fitness is very important and you are addressing it through running. In addition to being healthy divers can benefit from better muscular control of their breathing and that is what you seem to be speaking to in cranking your breathing resistance. During the dive is probably not the place to build this strength and you can only log so much bottom time to that end. A simple no brainer and fun way to get better control of your breathing is to sing. You don't need to be any good just find something you like and sing in the car, long, loud windshield smashing notes and challenge yourself to get more and more duration from each breath. I mention this here.

Example

When you combine aerobic fitness with breathing control and relaxation from experience you will probably end up with a delightfully low SAC.

Pete

So I'm a bit of a fitness freak although I'm nowhere near ironman level but I was wondering whether setting the 2nd stage to the lowest setting (greatest effort required) would be a good way to give my lungs a workout assuming that I'm not task loaded underwater.

It's been my experience that lowering your reg settings is a great way to get headaches due to C02 buildup

No, do not do that.

Swim, bike, run.

N

The human body is designed to function with a really minimal work of breathing. You only need to create a very small pressure difference between your lungs and the outside world to cause air to flow into the body, and that's how it's supposed to be. Even the cracking pressure on a well-adjusted reg is an increase in work of breathing, and poorly adjusted reg makes breathing quite uncomfortable. It also leads to CO2 retention, which is a potent trigger for anxiety and panic.

I suppose you could "train" your diaphragm and intercostal muscles to handle a higher work of breathing, by breathing against a resistance. But there is no utility to this at all on land, and doing so by impeding your breathing underwater is not a good idea at all, I think.

SAC rate is not related to how strong your ability to inspire against resistance is. SAC rate is related to two things -- efficiency of breathing pattern (so you minimize dead space wastage) and minimizing overall muscle use (diving efficiently).

You can always use this while you're working out.

Disclaimer: I have no interest in this product, nor have I ever used it; a number of athletes in my gym have used with some success.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom