Do I really need to log dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
I stopped logging just before 100 dives, about 20 dives ago. Do I need to start again? If I do start, and I would sort of like to, I think I would just use a spreadsheet and enter one line per dive -- no stamps.

We have AOW and a few other certifications, the only other certs we MIGHT go for would be Fundies, Rescue, or Peak Performance Buoyancy. Would we need logged dives for these? We will never be tech divers and would never seek to be DM or Instructor or the like.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,

Log the first 150 or so and then log a few a year after that.

The reason being that with 150 dives you'll meet the entry requirements of pretty much any course you're likely to take where you will need to show your log book.

Having a few a year logged after that will stop dive operators on vacation from forcing you to take a scuba tune up before letting you dive with them. They're not all strict about it but somehow I always end up wanting to dive with the ones who want to see a log book, which can be irritating since I haven't kept one for a long time.

And yeah, a spreadsheet is fine. For all intents and purposes it's a record, not a legal document and the stamps and signatures are not necessary.

R..

I quit logging once I got a computer that was downloadable. Now I just download the data to my home computer and forget about it.

It's only worth logging if you either enjoy it or you need to meet specific requirements. The only other consideration may be that you can demonstrate responsible and safe diving (presuming your log reflects that!) just in case insurance or local authorities ever had to get involved following an incident.

I have close to 1,000 dives logged. I keep the log because I keep track of what I saw on the dive and if I liked the dive site. I use the SSI Divelog Pro pages so I can get many dives on one page. I scanned one page and can print out as I need. Too expensive to buy the pages. That way when I go someplace I have gone before, I know what sites I want to do again and which to avoid.

I still log my dives ... but for many years now I've done it only electronically, using a simple Word table. No stamps, no signatures, no expensive log books. The purpose of a dive log is for you to decide ... I've yet to ever have anyone ask to see mine, either for training or for recreational diving.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

i have logged over a thousand dives. i find it helpful..... most of the time i forget the charter stamps.

A log is your record, so log what you want when you want. As others have said, recording some things about the dives may come in handy later for you, but it's your call. If you are using a dive computer, most now are downloadable and you can have your home computer do all the work, just print out a list if you need it for anything.

Bob
------------------------------
"No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously" -Dave Barry

I stopped logging just before 100 dives, about 20 dives ago. Do I need to start again? If I do start, and I would sort of like to, I think I would just use a spreadsheet and enter one line per dive -- no stamps.

We have AOW and a few other certifications, the only other certs we MIGHT go for would be Fundies, Rescue, or Peak Performance Buoyancy. Would we need logged dives for these? We will never be tech divers and would never seek to be DM or Instructor or the like.

Thanks,

Bill

Very few dive ops in the world will ever ask to see a log book, whether to take a course or to go diving with them. There are apparently some places in the world where dive ops do ask this, but from what I have seen reported on SB, it is very rare. Even if a dive op were to ask to see your log book, I would imagine that your plan of using one line per dive such that you just log date, location, depth and time, would suffice.

Agree with Diver0001...Log what you may need (and a few yearly later) in case you change your mind and do go for DM, Instructor, and in case charters ask to see your book--though I've never had that happen. Have been asked when I last dived, but they took my word. Doesn't hurt to be prepared--you can't really go back and log truthfully once you stop (unless you fake it somewhat). Other than that, no, you don't have to log anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom