Anyone know why DGX has dropped the HOG line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddhasummer

Down under...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
As per title cheers.

---------- Post added January 8th, 2014 at 11:33 AM ----------

Just noticed they're still selling the SPG.

---------- Post added January 8th, 2014 at 11:34 AM ----------

Guess I could ask them.

Their RG3 would appear to be very similar and at a similar price point so I would guess that they don't wish to compete with themselves plus I am sure that line gives them better control.

my speculation is that its "parallel" lines to their product. Dilutes their own sales too much.

I've noticed that HOG has raised their prices, and are now close enough in price to the established name brands, that customers would rather spend the few extra dollars and get the name brand item.
For example: Their complete back plate wing rig used to be very cheap. Now it is the exact same price as a Deep Sea Supply complete rig. They have raised their price to exactly match a competitors price. Can a HOG branded BP/W ever go higher in price? I don't think so. HOG came out with the implied message that you don't have to pay the industry pricing for good gear. But when they raise their prices to come close, or in some cases, be the same, customers won't buy it.

Businesses will only stock what customers buy. Why did DGX stop carrying HOG? Perhaps not many were buying.

Not bashing HOG, it's just my personal observation.

HOG played a tricky game when they first came out and were priced VERY low compared to their competitors. That in itself isn't necessarily such a bad thing.

The problem comes in when you then try to raise prices and be on par with the other brands.

Now it will never happen, because you have painted your brand into a corner.....forever labeled as a "discount" brand.
This is why big name brands come out with a cheaper brand when they want to offer products at lower price points without tarnishing the main brand with that "discount" label.

Example: Henderson wetsuits are the high end brand, and the sell cheaper products under the Neosport label.

HOG can't really move up. Their brand is already very well established as the good/serviceable/very affordable brand.
If they try and raise their prices too close to the name brands, they will lose sales, customers, and representation from retailers.

Nothing wrong with HOG, but they created their corner, and painted themselves into it......in my opinion.

They chummed the waters with a TON of cheap priced products and created a feeding frenzy. Retailers sold a lot of gear....good for them, and GREAT for the customers that bought those great deals.

What now?:cool2:

The advantage (for many) is that HOG will let anyone with training service their own regs and buy kits. I wouldn't own upwards of 25 Atomics if I had to send them in every year for service.

This has nothing to do with why DGX dropped HOG. I wonder if Mark beat Lamar up on price, and Lamar agreed to it if DGX dropped HOG?

1. HOG has become a "brand name", so saying that people would rather spend money on a brand name is not really accurate.

2. HOG has been very user friendly for service, but you do need to have some technical diving certification.

3. I don't think it has anything to do with Lamar or Dive Rite. They are selling their own "branded" DGX line that looks remarkably similar to the HOGs. It may be rebranded HOG gear, or more likely they have gone to the same or similar overseas manufacturer and struck their own deal. This is being done with increasing frequency and really pisses off the folks who did the R&D to design it. No one manufactures anything here in the US anymore. And trying to get exclusivity from an overseas manufacturer is tough. I know Jakub at Golem has been fighting this for years.

First there was the RG3100 reg set. Then came the Hog regs, which had a 1st stage that looked exactly like the Dive Rite reg, except in chrome (very nice) instead of black.

Now Dive Rite has a new regulator set, and the Older RG3100 regs are now the DGX RG3 regs.

The DGX (RG3) isn't a copy of the HOG....it's just the older RG3100.

Which is probably a copy of something else (Apex), with a few changes.

I forget the original name of that 1st stage design, but it's been around for awhile. It's just been modified slightly by a few different companies.

Side question: I've always assumed that Dive Rite is not only carried by DGX, but is in fact owned by the same company. A few ppl recently told me that wasn't true; that DGX is a totally independent store that just happens to carry a lot of DR inventory. This thread seems to imply that the former is true, not the latter.

So?

3. I don't think it has anything to do with Lamar or Dive Rite. They are selling their own "branded" DGX line that looks remarkably similar to the HOGs. It may be rebranded HOG gear, or more likely they have gone to the same or similar overseas manufacturer and struck their own deal. This is being done with increasing frequency and really pisses off the folks who did the R&D to design it. No one manufactures anything here in the US anymore. And trying to get exclusivity from an overseas manufacturer is tough. I know Jakub at Golem has been fighting this for years.

Seems to me that the ppl who do the R&D are happy to sell as much of the product as possible; whoever that may be. I imagine as a designer you can protect yourself w. patents and control who does and does not produce your designs.

Edit: To elaborate, I would imagine a conversation between a retailer and a manufacturer *might* go like this:

Retailer: I would like you to design and build a proprietary line of regulators for me.
Manuf: OK. I want you to guarantee you will buy 10k of these regulators in the first year of manufacture, and 5k each year thereafter
Retailer: I can only guarantee I will buy 5k regulators the first year, and can't guarantee anything thereafter
Manuf: OK. I can do that. But I can't let you keep the patent rights to the design. And in fact I will actively solicit other retailers to carry a version of this design to spread my R&D costs out. You may very well find similar versions of "your" design being sold by other retailers and at prices even lower than yours. OK?
Retailer: OK

If their prices have been raised I wonder if they will still be the "best regs on the market." You cant even ask about brand X regulator without the thread being flooded with HOG recommendations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom