Going Alone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does your LDS offer or sponsor dive outings or trips? If they do that is one of the best ways to start diving in a little less stressful situation. The shop has a vested interest in making diving fun for it's customer, it keeps people diving thus using their shop.
If that isn't possible look for a dive club or some one that you know who dives for advice on dive excursions.

The first few dives after certification can be daunting with every thing that is involved and inexerience.

Try and get a few dives under your belt then things will get easier.

Good luck and go diving as often as you can

Debbie and I do it exclusively. It is not difficult at all. ( Hey, even I can do it!) Pick a destination, and then get on line and look for Dive shops. See what they offer and at what price. Then look for close by accommodations- the shop can help you with this. Airfare in the last thing to scope out, and buy, as all else should be in place first. Incidentally, booking your own dive trips will run about 30% cheaper than packages offered by shops and travel agents. Finally, depending upon destination, be sure to include ground transportation arrangements in your plans.
DivemasterDennis

Your only regret will be that you didn't do it much earlier. When I split up from my last girlfriend I took my self off on holiday for the first time diving. I was OW at the time so booked to do my Advanced... that way I could still be a student when I rolled up and it took all the pressure off... What I found out pretty quickly was that everyone else there was ultimately just like me... they were just divers!

DD said it best. Just pick a spot and plan it like any other vacation. Google and Scubaboard are great ways to find quality dive ops. Share with them your experience and concerns. Most places will be very helpful.

Most have figured you're looking at a dive trip--aka tropical vacation. If you are near a coast maybe look into booking a one day/4 -6 hr. etc. dive charter if feasable. After that you would be familiar with general boat diving procedures (though of course they vary a bit from boat to boat and apparently are more of the "guided" dives in the tropics). You should mention you are new and would like an experienced buddy--perhaps a Divemaster you could pay. Then for a dive vacation the other part is simply like booking any vacation trip. Of course, you want to do a lot of research and contact the dive operation if you're gunna spend a lot of $ going there. Details like how many dives a day, how deep, what kind, what will you see. As well the other stuff like accomodations, meals, any other stuff that's important.

If you mean, booking without a built in buddy, it's remarkably simple. Just let the shop you're booking with know your experience level and that you'll need a buddy. Have a good conversation with your "insta-buddy" prior to the dive detailing what your goals and capabilities and expectations are and make sure you understand theirs. Dive and enjoy. Take it slowly, if you're more comfortable that way. Hell, take it slowly even if you're comfortable with a faster pace.

If you mean the logistics of actually planning a dive vacation, I find it's actually much easier when it's just me. Planning for me and other people is always more difficult for me because I then have to consider their wants/expectations/habits, etc. When it's just me I pick the dives I want and the style of operator I want and make the call. (Check here for reviews first, of course.)

We've gone on trips alone and also with the shop I was certified through. Even though I really enjoyed the dive shop group and group leader, overall my husband and I have more fun going just the two of us.

If your interested in Diving in the US and have never been to the 1000 Islands, you may consider the Clayton, NY or Alexandria Bay area for some of the worlds best fresh water wreck dives! I for one offer many options for divers. You my check out my website at www.Divestlawrence.com and judge for yourself. I will also set up your diving if you wish to do the Canadian wrecks as well because of a friend of mine who has 3 boats in Brockville, Ontario who can handle any Canadian dive charter that you may want. You will need a passport of course for those wrecks. The visibility on a bad day is 40ft and 90ft on a good day. There are many types of fish that accumulate around these wrecks that include Muskie, Sturgen, Bass, Walleye and many others to name a few. I will answer any questions you may have so feel free to ask and if you would like to schedule a charter whether it be a half day 3wreck dive or a 2tank dive with lodging and all, just contact me and I will be more than happy to set it all up for you. There is a real nice shore dive that goes from 40 to 110ft if interested.

Back
Top Bottom