Liveaboard Medicine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basheirt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
About to travel on first liveaboard for 7 days. Lots of time in the water (up to 5 dives/day). Curious about recommended general supplies, including:

Ear drying drops or a fancy dryer gadget;
Cream for wet feet (trench foot?);

Anything else that would be useful?

What have you taken that you were grateful to have (or became the boat hero)?

What have you taken that turned out to be silly and just plain "overkill"?

We typically dive the liveaboards where you leave your shoes at the dock. So I bring different sized band-aids since most ladders are metal and I'm clumsy on boats. Several times I've not been the only one with their toes bandaged by the end of the week. Plus they come off every couple of dives.

Two items I recommend- several pairs of bathing suits or whatever you wear in the water diving. After you get out, rinse off and dry off, go change into a dry suit. It keeps the rash away- I know of too many people who have not done this, and by the end of the week they are walking funny.

I also take lycra socks. With that much diving, up to 5 dives a day, the fins can rub raw spots on the toes/feet. Many have found this does the trick.

Most boats provide alcohol/vinegar mixtures, which I use after every dive. Ears tend to be the common problem most people have, and this has always worked for me. Haven't tried any of the "dryers."

Sudafed or some other similar product to clear your head. Their are many opinions on this, and you don't want a medicine that will make you groggy.

On my first live-a-board, took way to many clothes. Make sure you have a clean t-shirt for every day-maybe rotate it from dining/lounging use to dive deck use the next day. But you don't need much more than a daily change, a sweatshirt/breaker for cool nights, and dive gear. But don't be one of those that brings one t-shirt and one pair of shorts- you will find yourself dining alone by the end of the week.

What Live-a-board are you headed out on?

Terry

---------- Post added January 31st, 2014 at 09:37 AM ----------

Also take an extra strap for the fins and mask- have used them or lent them out numerous times.

. . .
What have you taken that turned out to be silly and just plain "overkill"?

TWO t-shirts and TWO pairs of shorts.

T-shirts are light--I bring one per day, and a sport shirt for going out to dinner once you're back at the dock. Also one of my Marmot wind shirts for breezy days or evenings on the deck. Bring a warmer wet suit than you think you'll need, along with a hood or hooded vest--5 dives a day will suck the heat out of you and you'll be skipping dives by the middle of the week otherwise.

I travel with drugs
antibiotic (I usually ask for Septra -- Cipro doesn't work for a lot of things)
extra-strength antihistamine cream and hydrocortisone cream (I have scripts for antihistamine cream, and several strengths of steroid cream)
Benedryl
an elastic bandage
Lomotil
Swimmer's Ear
anti-fungal spray or cream (get script for Loprox)
Afrin
probiotic (in case I need the antibiotic)
eye drops
saline spray
dental kit for temp filling (drugstores have them)
tea tree oil
waterproof bandages in different sizes
antiseptic cream or spray
eye glass repair kit
Painkillers -- Tylenol, Motrin

Yes, I'm a mom. "I have a terrible itch. Do you have anything that will make it stop?" "There's something growing between my toes. What do I do?"

Let me add to that, above (which is an excellent list, BTW) Take some duct tape. Duct tape holds your Scopalomine patch on. It holds your band-aids in place. It fixes gear. It can be used in place of a band-aid if you get a hot spot and not a blister. Duct tape and superglue have a million uses, and the best part is, you don't feel bad about leaving it behind on the boat.

Clean dry socks, enough clothes so you can dress "fresh" for meals, evenings in common areas. Many people don't bring enough, and get pretty funky by the end of the trip. Ear drops or dryer is ok, but not crucial. A good tool kit and spare parts is a must. The boat will have all the first aid supplies you need. Batteries for non-rechargeable lights/cameras are important too.
DivemasterDennis

Thanks, TD! Great advice. My son (15) and I are going on the Cat Ppalu in June. A charter group was gracious enough to open one of their cabins for us. We're looking forward to getting our AOW cert while aboard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom