LDS Scams

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GDI

Artificer of Havoc & Kaos
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have seen a few of the things that LDS's do to generate higher profits. I was wondering what some of you may have come accross. I am not against earning a buck or two but some things are just wrong. Example:(without names -that could be a legal issue)There is a LDS that I am now not welcomed in. I went there with a student who purchased a open water crew pack. I don't know why as I provide them this in the class. Anyway When I asked him where the log book was that came with it, He said he didn't get one. He went back to the LDS and asked for one, they attempted to sell it to him, another $13.95 and he had already paid the full retail price on the crew pack. I went back with him we got his money back and I was asked never to come into that shop again. I gave him a new crewpack with log book. What have you seen or experienced out there? Please no names or locations, not even the city. There are some very honest dive shops out there.

Last summer there were lots of PADI crew packs that didn't have the log books in them. Sometimes there is a misunderstanding.

If the dive shop doesn't sell only Apeks regs, Diverite BP and harness' and Abyss wings, Halcyon SMBs and USD Blades. I think they are ripping of customers because they are only selling garbage and charging to much.

What a stupid thing for me to say. Just like your thread.

If you aren't slanderous why can't you put down the name of the shop?

Why don't you try starting a thread that is more constructive. Such as: When dealing with any business do your homework, in the dive industry, some of the pit falls are...

Pez de Diablo:
Last summer there were lots of PADI crew packs that didn't have the log books in them. Sometimes there is a misunderstanding.

If the dive shop doesn't sell only Apeks regs, Diverite BP and harness' and Abyss wings, Halcyon SMBs and USD Blades. I think they are ripping of customers because they are only selling garbage and charging to much.

What a stupid thing for me to say. Just like your thread.

If you aren't slanderous why can't you put down the name of the shop?

Why don't you try starting a thread that is more constructive. Such as: When dealing with any business do your homework, in the dive industry, some of the pit falls are...
Because being born in Canada and living in the USA I don't need that headache. Mostly it is the newbe's who take the hit. IMHO

Yeah, I agree. Nothing constructive is going to become of this thread...

LUBOLD8431:
Yeah, I agree. Nothing constructive is going to become of this thread...
I am not into taking down a man's lively hood. If the shop is that bad word will get out and he'll do it himself. But I can educate the public on what to look out for, especially if they have never entered a LDS. You want to name one you go ahead.

GDI:
Because being born in Canada and living in the USA I don't need that headache. Mostly it is the newbe's who take the hit. IMHO

Starting a thread that most likely is based on half truths has what to do with being born in Canada and living in the USA?You are giving those born in Canada a bad name.

Seems like commen sense to me. Businesses that have poor practices or charge unreasonable tend to generate a lot of negative feedback. Over time word gets around, they lose their customer base and go out of business. Not a lot of things that travel faster than a bad reputation.

Not to mention the fact that IF you do happen to mention a name, or business, things could get ugly here on SB. In fact, we have had a few instances of exactly that happening here. Public apologies and everything. I think this is one thread that should die a quick and painless death...

Pez de Diablo:
Starting a thread that most likely is based on half truths has what to do with being born in Canada and living in the USA?You are giving those born in Canada a bad name.
There is truth in what I am speaking. And Americans like to sue hence my comment for that being born on Canada. Lawyers take up the largest section of the phone book down here. As a matter of fact Canadians like to sue as well. You just want a LDS name, I won't put a name of a LDS up just on the point of word of mouth advertisement or reference. Now have you any bad experiences with what you considered a scam for extra cash when dealing with a dive shop? Simply answer the question, yes or no?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom