Fathoms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTexan

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I received a copy of Fathoms magazine in the mail today and it looks really neat. This is the first issue I've ever seen. Does anyone subscribe to it? Do you recommend it? It comes out quarterly, but subscriptions run $30 a year.

I picked one up at the dive shop last weekend. I was very impressed, especially with the photography. That $10 cover price was a shock, though. I still haven't decided if it's worth the $30, $7.50 an issue doesn't sound as bad!

For my money, Advanced Diver Mag is a much better mag than Fathoms, or Immersed for that matter.

I think my subscription is still active.

The photography is awesome, and I have enjoyed many of the articles.

I can only compare it to Rodales, Dive Training, and Skin Diver.

TwoBit

I've found it to be quite good. Subscribed after the first time I saw it. It's a magazine unlike any other. If they want to devote 15 pages to an interview, they do it. Who else would do that? I don't mind paying well for a magazine worth reading. With some magazines you have a hard time finding the articles crammed in between the ads. Not with Fathoms.

I don't like the magazine itself; but that's just because it's too much focused on what famous divers in the industry are doing, and not focused on much more than industry gossip IMHO. But the photos are incredible and the quality is good as well. Probably worth it if your schtick is photography; but it's lacking a bit for those that look for meat in their rags.

My prof gave me her copy yesterday, after denouncing it as a pretty magazine for the super-rich. She didn't approve of the rigged photo of the guy getting pinched by the lobster either.
Still, the photos are very nice. I'll have to pick it apart later. Certainly doesn't appear any more over-exaggerated than other dive mags. I miss the old Alert Diver.

Back
Top Bottom