Worst diving incident?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

koozemani

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Mods please move this thread to the appropriate forum if this is the wrong one.

While reading a recent thread, where a positive outcome is looking less and less likely as the hours and days tick by, I began to wonder, what was the worst diving incident in terms of lives lost?

The Wave Dancer lost 17+3 in a single blow. Worst recreational diving accident ever. Wave Dancer Tragedy

I was aware of that one and have "no safe harbor" sitting on my shelf, but I was referring more to tragedies that occurred while actively diving.

Speigle Grove: 6 divers

Florida Caves since 1970: Over 600 diver deaths

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd count the Wave Dancer as a diving accident. The divers were on a liveaboard. Being on the boat, is a part of diving. This way of separating what happens under water with what happens above the water goes a bit towards what I wrote about here http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...ing-enough-attention-some-safety-aspects.html
But it's a matter of opinion if they should count or not. Although it shows that we should pay attention to dive boats and their crew and their actions the same way we pay attention to other divers, instructors and equipment.

Some people were replying with total death tolls on certain sites, but not on a single incident...

Any more details on the cases mentioned? Were those 6 deaths on the Spiegel Grove at the same time? What happened?

Back
Top Bottom