Are divers not paying enough attention to some safety aspects?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Redshift

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It was hard for me to phrase what I'd like to discuss here in the topic sentence.
And mods, please feel free to move this, although it doesn't seem to fit the general diving categories. It's not an incident analysis per se, but more of a discussion about many of the safety aspects that divers and dive centres look at and some we may be overlooking a bit. This has been prompted by the recent events of divers lost at sea and the aim is to look at how we choose and evaluate a boat and its crew.

As divers we have guidelines, requirements, limits to our certifications. Dive centres will ask us for a certain certification to do some dives, will ask to see the logbook, often even not trust any of that and require check dives. They often ask for some mandatory equipment, tell us what to do and what not to do.

As divers, we pay attention to who we are diving with. We want proficient and safe buddies, preferably known ones and try to get some background info when having to dive with an unknown one.

As divers, we tell other certified and non certified people asking advice about courses, to evaluate the instructors and the centres, that a good quality instructor is more important than the agency.

As divers, we want the best equipment, we analyze possible points of failure, we spread the word when there are recalls, we try to have the right gear for the dives we do.

As divers, what do we know about the boat we are stepping on and its captain?

Aren't they a fundamental part of diving? (You know I'm not talking about shore dives)

Yet, we are not so critical of boats and their crew as we are of other divers and even some dive centres seem to have a standard for what they require from a diver and then be more lenient when it regards their own facilities and personnel. Don't we talk a lot less about these things than about certifications, dive experience and gear?

There have been to recent incidents, one with divers left in the water, another with divers lost at sea where the actions taken by the captains appear not to have been the best and have put people in danger. Will this affect behaviours or will things will tend to stay the way they are?

I know it's always hard to generalise and there are divers who pay attention to these things and require a good service from the boats as there are centres that have good quality boats and crew.

I posed the same question a number of years ago. I got the response back that divers generally want transportation to and from the dive site, They don't really care about limits of insurance, safety equipment onboard, or many of the other things I consider important. They were willing to accept that a flag state safety certificate is enough. Of course, most don't realize that no flag state regulates the diving aspect of a charter boat, so things like AEDs, O2, certified DMs, air test certificates, and some of the things that make dive boats dive boats aren't regulated by the flag state. When I tried to argue the point, I was told that most divers just don't care.

You have to remember that the population of ScubaBoard does not necessarily represent a cross section of divers in general. A vast majority of divers have never heard of ScubaBoard, nor could they care.

But even the transportation to and from the dive site seems to fail once in a while. I like to be sure the captain of my boat is paying attention to divers, assessing the weather and sea conditions, following divers when needed be, picking them up safely, etc.

A year ago I got into a boat so packed I could barely get my gear on board, every seat was full. I found a certificate on the wall that listed how many people the boat could carry, and the number was less than the heads I counted!

I quickly found the captain and inquired and he told me the boat had just been re rated and he was under his limit. I asked him where the oxygen, AED, and life jackets were, and proceeded to have a pretty good pretty safe day of diving.

Redshift I have been on some boats with less than perfect records and gotten excellent service.
Would I travel across the globe to do so? Not so much.
I went with buddies who worked there or we could assist in the days dives so it was an adventure in its self.
I learned a few things about boats and divers.

Even the best boat can have a bad day.
Markers / buoys get cut, weather gets rough, captain gets sick, etc.
You get blown off or mechanical issues put you on the dock.
What is not or never been tolerated is any diver being left!
THAT IS UNACCEPTABLE ON ANY BOAT ANYWHERE!

Divers on boats either become very polite, conscious , keeping kits clean and tight or they are train wrecks.
Of the train wrecks a certain number of them have a particular disposition that THEY KNOW ALL and you are there slave.
Well in a sense if you are deck hand you are there to serve but in a respectful manor.
In a sense the dive community could do better policing itself and usually the industry itself takes care of improperly ran dive boats.
In the case you get caught on a bad boat remember to post a report or file a complaint.

We research dive boats extensively and usually it takes a friends recommendation to convince me.
This being said I have had two very abrasive moments on boats and both times could have went very bad.
One careless shove and it created a very dangerous situation.
I did not comment on the event other than ask the deck hand to move away from me.
He was told to go to other side of the boat and not seen again for the rest of the season.

The other was a cavalier comment meant as a jab at me personally and the one who took the shot owned the boat.
His other staff were excellent but must have been having a bad day.
I simply completed my dives and would not dive with him as captain again.
Either of the other captains are excellent.
These are just two small examples of service oriented issues on a dive boat.

Having been on both sides of the coin both need to simply adopt the treat others like you wish to be treated.
Respect, professionalism, gratefullness, etc. go a long way some of these qualities are in short supply these days.

If I were commenting on divers performance wise it would be AWARENESS or lack there of, SELF RELIANCE or lack there of, TRAINING or lack there of.
Am I trying to be mean or disrespectful NO, just my opinion.
There are great divers, good divers, improving divers, and some horrible divers!
My goal is to be a student and understand regardless of what cert I have or level I NEED to be a improving diver every dive!
If I can serve even while on a boat I offer assistance as long as I can a help.

I hope that no one thinks my comments are rude not intended to be nor judgmental that was not my intention.

CamG

I am well aware that incidents happen, things out of our control can happen... but in that case it's the attitude of the staff and how matters were dealt with that's important. This is very different from some cases of recklessness I have witnessed or have heard about.

The dive boat sinking in Cozumel this week is typical of the lack of knowledge of most divers who dive there who are so in love with Cozumel that they gloss over blame and want to pretend there is nothing to talk about and will willingly get on any dive boat that will take them out as long as the price is low enough for their budget. It's amazing that so many people cannot make any mental connection that the low price they pay has direct coorelation to their safety. The dive boat in question takes water over the transom and sinks and the reaction by many is that, oh that could happen to anyone. :shakehead:

As a boat captain and dive instructor, I completely understand your question. No boat captain in the world should ever leave a diver behind. To do so is criminal. Every dive boat should have at a minimum, a fire extinguesher, life preservers, a radio, a proper dive flag, a first aid kit and oxygen. Not to have these is possibly criminal. Asking to see these things is the responsible divers action. The captian should also cover each of them in the boat breifing.

Beyond that the level of service should be adjusted for the dive and divers. I have taken out spear fishermen who don’t want anything except reliable transportation and lots of ice to new divers who very much appreciate help with their gear, detailed breifings and even being led by the hand around the reef. The move flexible you can be, the better the service is. By the way, expect your "captiains tip" to be paid in fish from the spear fishermen. :D

Back
Top Bottom