What kind of diving do you do?

What kind of diving do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bowlofpetunias

Oh no, not again!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last edited:
In my answers, I've assumed that harvesting of scallops and such don't fall into the realm of "hunting", i.e. it's covered by "Other".

I'm also assuming that "Deep" is below the recommended limit for an AOW cert.

I don't know about the scallops in your neck of the ocean Storker, but I sure have to hunt for mine.

Since I've been diving for a bit and I've noticed that I go from one interest to another, and as long as I'm underwater, I'm happy.

Bob

I don't know about the scallops in your neck of the ocean Storker, but I sure have to hunt for mine.
Do your type try to escape when you pick them? What do you prefer for hunting them, a spear gun or a sling? ;-)

Srsly: Around here, only the really small ones - way too small for harvesting - swim. The large ones just lie there, so harvesting scallops is more or less akin to picking mushroom: a question of finding a good spot, and that there haven't been other divers there the last few days. That's why I don't regard my scallop picking as hunting.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

I like boat diving best. I usually book the boats for vacation destinations like Maui and the Caribbean depending on where the family goes for the summer. I've done boats here in So Cal but not quite the same. For the money I'd just as soon do a beach and shore dive. There is one reef just off a local beach that is a fair surface swim but entirely doable. A local dive boat often anchors there as well and we can see the anchor while diving. On the way back we've said to ourselves, "Well, just saved $125!"

Mellow and preferably with a lot of life and a short equipment haul.

Having said that I dive a local quarry some just for fun and practice. Shore is nice but not a fan of long swims on the surface. Boats are great but not a fan of heavy seas. With two bad shoulders and a missing disk, short equipment carries are nice too. But will do what I have to to dive a bunch.

Well mainly I dive just because I enjoy it. Otherwise videography (I ticked photography) is becoming an interest and I also hunt crustaceans on occasion. As my degree progresses I'll probably switch to scientific diving (other). I already catalogue and ID all the species I encounter at each dive site, new species excite me the most :D

I put Hunting as I figure that includes shell collecting. Other than classes, I really only dive to do that, whether it's Deep, Boat, and the other ones I checked.

As long as I'm in the water, I'm happy too. At this point, I'd even be happy if the water was falling out of the sky (we are in a bad drought and need rain desperately). I've done just about every type of diving listed above except rebreather. I don't pay enough attention to my gauges when diving open circuit so I sure as heck am not going to risk a rebreather (given my inattentiveness due to filming)!

Back
Top Bottom