Damaged gear due to airlines....any luck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welling

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I returned from diving out of the country and when I went to get my bags, my aqualung 1600 bag was ripped open (zipper part) and the cover was torn off. I took my wives BC and mine to the dive shop to have them inspected as well as show off my bag. We filled them up and sure enough my axiom I3 has a puncture in it. I have working with the airlines, and have yet to have them call me back. This happened yesterday 3/30/13. So my bag and my BC are both trashed. The bad part? They were both brand new. No I didn't have DAN insurance, I wasn't aware of it for my trip. With that being said, has anyone had a similar thing happen with dive gear being ruined by the airlines, and what can I expect them to do?

So far the airlines did offer to send my bag to be repaired sewn, etc.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

I know Delta specifically excludes 'sporting equipment' from being covered for damage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

The wife and I returned from Cozumel in November with damage as well, but it was limited to just the bag. Luckily, the contents were fine. We flew Delta as well, and we filed a complaint. Two weeks later we got a check in the mail to replace the bag, they never asked us a single question.

I returned from diving out of the country and when I went to get my bags, my aqualung 1600 bag was ripped open (zipper part) and the cover was torn off. I took my wives BC and mine to the dive shop to have them inspected as well as show off my bag. We filled them up and sure enough my axiom I3 has a puncture in it. I have working with the airlines, and have yet to have them call me back. This happened yesterday 3/30/13. So my bag and my BC are both trashed. The bad part? They were both brand new. No I didn't have DAN insurance, I wasn't aware of it for my trip. With that being said, has anyone had a similar thing happen with dive gear being ruined by the airlines, and what can I expect them to do?

So far the airlines did offer to send my bag to be repaired sewn, etc.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

You expect an airline to take responsibility? LOL... that's not going to happen.

The words "airline" and "responsible" should never be used in the same sentence.

As a traveler you have only one option: suck it up.

R..

at least they didn't steal it from you

I would take photos and still file a claim. I think you need to do it with written or email correspondence not with a phone call. I doubt they'll call you back.

Case in point for DAN insurance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The cost of insurance has to exceed the average loss or the insurer would be losing money. So, on average, people lose money by purchasing insurance rather than self-insuring unless they happen to be in an exceptional risk category that the insurer does not charge appropriately for. Purchased insurance is appropriate when you can not afford to self insure and there are many such cases (but probably not in recreational scuba). If you can't afford to repair or replace your scuba gear, maybe you need to be more selective in the type diving you do.

Why can't the punctured BCD be repaired? I know most manufacturers don't or won't do it, but it really is very similar to a punctured tire from both a repairability and safety standpoint. Also, perfectly adequate bags without a scuba name on them can be found at a small fraction of the cost of a "scuba bag".

I do believe your bag has a lifetime warranty .we had a aqualung bag get destroyed and our shop replaced it no questions.

This happened to me on the return from Cozumel last November. Upon pulling my dive bag from the luggage carousel the entire zipper was torn off. I showed it to the gate representative and they issued me a $75.00 flight voucher.

Back
Top Bottom