Downline issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Watershed

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am having some anxieties upon decent (weather with a line or without) this issue happens only if i need to decent through the water column not decenting down from a shore dive. its preventing me from taking a charter to some of the many great sites we have on the gulfcoast. have any of you experienced this and if so how did you get a handle on it?

Are they because you can't see the bottom? How is the visibility in those sites? Have you tried to follow someone? That can give you an idea of how far down you are seeing and give you more security. Maybe get a buddy pair to go a couple of meters below you and then you follow with your buddy.
Do you have difficulties maintaining your body position and controlling your buoyancy during the descent?

most decents was poor vis. maybe it is because i cant see the bottom. common vis around here is 15 to 30ft depending on tide and location. low vis does not make me uneasy though as a majority of my dives are less than 20ft of vis.i'll have to try to find an area i can drop a downline and see if buddies ahead of me helps.

I have ascended a number of times without a line but never descended from a boat without one. I dive a fair bit in the Gulf in winter. My procedure is to go down the line quite fast (assuming that's OK with a buddy if I have one). My attention is on pulling myself down the anchor line, so I guess I never thought of viz or had any anxiety. Sometimes the Loop current is strong so you're fighting that until you get some depth. Don't know if this helps. Jan.-March 2015 we'll be "snowbirding" near you on Dauphin Island. PM me in Dec. if you'd like to buddy up for something. Am hoping a calm day brings decent shore diving viz right from the condo. Last 2 years my charter has been with Niuhi Diving out of Pensacola.

my wife, who is totally comfortable diving, has the same type of issue. for her it seems to be a psychological thing when she enters the water from a boat and cannot see the bottom. we find that if we get in the water before other divers (so we are not feeling rushed), descend down the line slowly (feet first) while maintaining eye contact, we usually reach the bottom with no issues. it's like, "oh, we're here already ??"
i have also seen others that become very disoriented because there is no point of reference and they get very anxious. the suggestions made above about having divers below to focus on should help if that is part of the issue.
only other advise i would give is try not to think about it before the dive. don't focus on the fact that viz is short and you cannot see the bottom. try to keep breathing under control. stay relaxed. and make sure weighting is proper (not too heavy) and buoyancy is good. you always want to feel in control of your descent and not that you are plummeting into the abyss. haha good luck keep trying new techniques. you will find what works for you !!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom