fukushima fall out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grayeagle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have seen videos of people walking the beach in san Francisco with gigercounters going off. I am going to maui September and would like to dive. is anybody else worried about this ?

I wouldn't worry about it. I dive in Monterey and will be going to Maui in May. See the California Department of Public Health's website Radiologic Health Branch

If you have any additional questions feel to contact me. I am a Health Physicist with the state.

THANK YOU fishb0y!!!

I live in Tokyo and dive in Izu (south Tokyo) all the time. While diving, you don't eat or inhale anything so I don't see any problem anywhere including Japan.
Lots of embassies here that checked, saw radiation levels in their home country higher then in Tokyo (ex. Rome)
While I don't want to downplay actual risk and sympathize with people living in Fukushima prefecture (it is a real concern there), radiation is everywhere in the world. Not just talking about natural one (you have that one as well). Thank the governments for nuclear testing, nuclear power and nuclear waste. It's everywhere and your body handles it within limits. If it concerns you, hold the bananas and stop flying.
You are likely to get more radiation from a flight then diving anywhere in the world.
Just hate seeing those doomsday uninformed Fukushima related articles.

Oh, and do come diving in Okinawa, it's awesome!

Last edited:
Lots of embassies here that checked, saw radiation levels in their home country higher then in Tokyo (ex. Rome)

Good point. Back in March 2011, the tabloids around here had war-sized headlines. OMG!!!!111!! RADIATION LEVELS IN TOKYO DOUBLED!!!!111!!!. If you were able to check the actual numbers, it turned out that the OMG DOUBLED!!! radiation level in Tokyo was similar to the background level in Oslo and less than half of that in Rome. We had planned a vacation in Japan in early April that year, and we went despite the headlines and the airlines canceling flights. We had a wonderful time in Tokyo and Western Japan, and the hospitality and friendliness of the Japanese people, even after the terrible Tōhoku tsunami, was heartwarming, on the edge of heartbreaking.

IMO, the Fukushima meltdown (and three casualties, none of those due to radiation) got way too much press compared to the nearly 20000 dead from the tsunami. And it still does. This March, the press was still drooling over Fukushima, but had completely forgotten the real disaster.

Bottom line: When the press reports about OMG!!! RADIATION!!!, remember to check the figures. And compare them to normal background radiation levels. Usually, you'll find out there's no reason to worry.

Radiation levels are undetectable above background. Its paranoid, ill informed or deliberately misleading reporting and no more than that. There is not the slightest bit of increased radioactivity or risk to humans on the US coast. None what-so-ever.

Than you all for pitching in! Yes, the radiation ghost is misused in the press. But the risk is real. And I don't trust the government or nuclear companies in giving us the truth.

This is why I love crowd sourced project like safecast!! Good source of information! Monitors not just Japan but part of US now.
http://safecast.org

A bit off topic. The real damage was done by the tsunami. Still today the Tohoku area in Japan hasn't recovered. Including the coast that had much junk dragged into the sea by the tsunami. A volunteer diving group has been helping to clean this up for years.
A lot of volunteer divers from around the world have joined with them for the cleanup. If anyone is interested in a trip over there, PM me.

Some nice photos
http://bonniewaycott.wordpress.com/...the-marine-diving-fair-ikebukuro-tokyo-japan/

Back
Top Bottom