BCD largeness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

quak3r

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ladies and gents,
I realize this is super noob of a question but I can't really find a thread on it. I usually wear a size medium BCD . my father, due to health complications gave me his BCD . never seen water but it's an xl same brand.Can I get away with using it.?All the straps have been pulled to max and it feels comfortable and snug. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
All you can do is try it. If it isn't snug enough, the tank will be unstable and it will make for an uncomfortable dive.

All you can do is try it. If it isn't snug enough, the tank will be unstable and it will make for an uncomfortable dive.

So it's not so much of a safety issue as it is a comfort issue then?

A poor fit could make it harder to recover from an error/ compound an existing error, but sizes on jacket style bcds are very generous. I've worn bcds from size m to XLs. Try it out and see if you like it.

Gear that doesn't fit makes diving more difficult. For a veteran, an ill-fitting BC is an annoyance. For a novice, it can be a major contributor to diver stress in someone whose stress level is high to begin with.

I have seen new divers who were phlegmatic to a high degree. I have seen novices who are one straw away from a bolt to the surface. Whether an ill-fitting BC is a safety issue or not depends on the diver to which it is attached.

I have found that once I have reached my planned depth sometimes I have to readjust my BC straps so it is snug again. If your fathers XL BC is snug on the surface with no adjustment left, possibly at depth it may be not as snug as you would like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom