Diving in low viz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Viz in the Pacific Northwest has hit its usual April low. The shallows were "can light visible at about 3 feet", and the deep water opened up to an impressive 6 or 7 feet of dark, particulate-filled water. At the same time, our buddy from last night, doing his first dive since his move out here from New York, said the viz was fine, because it was better than most of the diving he had done in his previous home.

I posted about it, and one of my friends said, "I keep seeing people talking about how bad the viz is, but they're still going diving. It doesn't make sense to me!". So I wondered . . . what's YOUR reason for diving in pea soup?

Usually you can get below pea soup...
(Of course... once in a while, that includes Helium....)

If I did not dive in pea soup I wouldn't be diving! The mud hole of a quarry closest to me avgs about 10 feet of viz on a good day. It makes the trips to warm clear water that much more special.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some of the life seems to be a bit braver in low vis.

Its the only way I can dive every weekend, only 20 mins from the house. In addition, its a great way to work on your navigation and buoyancy. 45° water, with 3-5ft visibility, is a great place to hone your skills, in my opinion. Thankfully, its finally warming up, and I even saw some fish last weekend. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Low viz and good viz are very different dives. On low viz dives I go slow and concentrate on close-up views. On days were the water is clear I get a different experience.

Back
Top Bottom