PADI free Mesh backpack/bag w/new sign up - is it nice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnnyscience

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I received a PADI membership promotion offering a free mesh backpack/bag.

How is the quality of this thing? Is it nice or junk? I could use a mesh bag for swimming at the pool and have been meaning to get one. So if it's decent and I can get a PADI membership out of it I might as well. (I know everyone will suggest signing up regardless but I haven't even gotten certified yet)

The membership fee is $19, is that the normal price? Comes with some extras too, magazine, car rental discount etc.

If I don't get certified this Spring I'm selling all of my gear so maybe getting the PADI sign up will push me to find a local class and get signed up when I get the extra cash.

I live in the Cleveland area & have no interest to ever try to scuba in lake erie, but we do have some clear water springs that they do diving at, so that's what I'm hoping for this Spring/Summer.

I’m a former long-time PADI instructor, so the following is disloyal, but:

A PADI Diving Society membership is worthwhile if you are likely to take advantage of and benefit from the coupons and offers. Otherwise, not. I looked at the offers for about 20 years and never found one to use. ymmv

Sport Diver Magazine is essentially a collection of advertisements. No “article” ever says anything negative about the subject matter.

Cannot speak to the quality of the bag.

The PADI Diving Society membership has nothing to do with certification. Many (most?) PADI students never join and are in no way limited as a result.

I appreciate the honesty. I realize the membership goes to benefit certain things and isn't a total shill. (I hope)

ill probably pass for now. Maybe later down the road when and if I actually get certified.

I agree with knotical. Interesting side note-- PADI pros always got the mag free. Now can only get the online version (or pay for the mag). Because PADI goes "green". Perhaps a monetary reason instead? You'd think everyone should get it only online if environment was the reason.

I got a few of the PADI duffle bags they were giving out when I was a DM.

None of them lasted more than a couple months before they started flaking the coating, zippers failing, and zipper tabs breaking off. You'd think if they were going to offer something to SCUBA DIVERS they'd offer something that would be suitable for dive related activities. No such luck. My GF has one but makes sure to keep it away from wet stuff.

None of the coupons was of any benefit whatsoever to me. There was a discount for diving Epcot. Got a better one with my AAA card. The magazine sucked as far as real information. Nice pictures but that's about it. I used to save them. Now rather than filling up landfill with them I give them away for the pictures so kids can look at pretty stuff. As far as gear reviews - regurgitated manufacturer ads.

IMO it was total waste of my money before I became a DM and membership was free.

I have a few of the PADI backpacks, and none of them have failed within months or years with light use. They are OK, nothing great, as you should expect with something free.

I can't speak to the quality of the bag, since they never sent it to me despite several phone calls.

$19 for a membership is pretty cheap, although I didn't receive anything from them that I would value at $19, so IMHO it is a waste of money.

I can't speak to the quality of the bag, since they never sent it to me despite several phone calls.

$19 for a membership is pretty cheap, although I didn't receive anything from them that I would value at $19, so IMHO it is a waste of money.

But hey, you get a free new card every year. Actually, the backpack I got for doing MSD is great for storing beads caught at Mardi Gras. And there is a PADI Diving Soc. forum with like 3 posts.

Never received the "free" fleece vest that was suppose to come with my membership.

I've read on other threads that this it not uncommon.

The coupons and offers never applied to my area of the world.

As mentioned by knotical - the magazine is pretty much a travel brochure/infomercial.

IMHO - save your money, there will be some shiny, low cost piece of kit to purchase in the future at your local dive shop instead.

Ken

Membership supports Project AWARE environmental initiatives...so there is benefit to membership.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom