Aquarium Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skittl1321

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
A friend of mine posted something about Shark Reef at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, which had me go visit their site. I found out that there is a package you can dive in Shark Reef. For $650! (Two people for $1,000 a comparative bargain.) For me, I have to fly to Vegas and get a hotel, so we'll call that equal: that cost of diving would allow me to dive, with a decent tip- for 7 days in Cozumel. I know it is supply/demand but that amount just seems crazy.

Anyhow- I had previously heard about Epcot's Dive Quest, and was wondering what other aquariums have diving. I mean- the idea of being in the aquarium just seems really cool, especially the chance to view the guests from the other side of the glass, not to mention all the wildlife that will be in there.

Here's what I found (all really expensive, but not at all compared to Mandalay Bay!)
Epcot Dive Quest- 3 hour program, 40 minute dive, $175
Georgia State Aquarium with Whale Sharks- 2.5 hour program, 30 minute dive, $334.95
Littleton, Colorado, choose with fish or with sharks it seems- ?, ?, $185
Florida Aquarium, Tampa- ?, 30 minute dive, $175
Long Island Aquarium, Shark dive- ?, ? $165
National Aquarium, Maryland- 3 hour program, 45 minute dive, $195
Aquarium of the Pacific, Long Beach- 2.5 hour program, ? dive, $299

Have you ever dove in an aquarium? Was it "worth it"?

I have not been diving in an aquarium, and don't really have a desire to.

I've been diving, I've been to an aquarium and between the two I am quite sure that I can realistically imagine what it is like to dive in an aquarium...and the experience was not worth it :)

I do it every other Wednesday. For free. All you have to do is volunteer.

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do it every other Wednesday. For free. All you have to do is volunteer.

They probably don't let tourists volunteer for one hour every 3 years... nothing local here.

The Sea Life Aquarium at the Mall Of America has a dive program. You get one dive in the fresh water tank and one in the salt water tank with the sharks. I believe the cost is about $200 for both dives.
I did the dives several years ago and liked it. Most of the people I have talked to liked the fresh water dive better, you have a lot more freedom to roam around. In the shark tank you are more or less herded along the wall and into a corner by the DM's, you get to see the sharks but the DM's do not let them get to close. All the rest of the sea life is allowed to swim up to you. They way over weight you in the salt water tank so that you can't cork away from them to the surface, I have several friends that work as DM's there, and once I Finnish my DM I may try to get a job there.

If anyone on SB is here to dive the Georgia Aquarium, I'd be glad to meet up with you for a beer, as I live very nearby. I'd volunteer there if I only didn't have this regular job thing. Volunteers do not get to dive for free, though.

I've never been tempted to do the $335 dive. Since my wife would want to dive with me, that's a lot of money, and we'd rather budget that kind of money for a dive vacation.

We did the Adventure Aquarium in Camden NJ - I was a bit disappointed - snorkel only and they kept you away from the sharks. My kids enjoyed it but I wanted to actually swim in the tank. You got close up to 10 - 14 foot sharks but you were on a walkway that circled the top of the tank that was maybe 3 feet deep and a rail that kept the sharks out of the walkway. It was fun to say we did it - but I would not go back unless I could dive in the tank. They did let you feed stingrays off to the side which was fun too.

Likewise for a meet-up if diving at the Mall o' 'Murica in Minneapolis.

---------- Post added April 18th, 2014 at 05:00 PM ----------

A better option for a road trip might be bonne terre mine.

More for your list that I'm aware of:

Shark Dive Maui | Maui Ocean Center Aquarium 2h/$200. My buddy did this one. Often there's a small tiger in the tank.
Feet First: Dive with the Sharks - Cleveland Aquarium 2h/$225
North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island - Aquarium Shark Dive 2h/$195
Dive the Oregon Coast Aquarium 2h/$149

"Littleton, Colorado" is actually the Downtown Aquarium in Denver afaik. http://www.divedowntown.com/

I've thought of diving the Georgia Aquarium by staying over a day from Bonaire/Curacao or any other Delta served Caribbean locales.

It's much more rewarding to be a Volunteer or Staff diver at an aquarium than a paid patron. Don't get me wrong though, diving as a patron is a still an absolute blast. But you get so much more with diver training and continuing education as a dive volunteer. There's perks as well when you're committed. :wink:

Georgia Aquarium has an awesome Pay-to-Dive program btw. Would highly recommend it!

Back
Top Bottom