Dive Boats: What Are 'Yours' Like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xyrandomyx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What sort/ size of dive boats do you have in your area? What's a typical price for a spot on the boat? How far is the average trip out to a dive site?

I basically started this thread to avoid going off-topic in this one: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/481068-aquarium-diving-5.html#post7100049

Dive boats in South Africa are almost all RIBs. It's usually been $25 and $35 for a spot on a boat (depending on a few factors). The typical dive site is between one and six nautical miles away by boat.

I've wondered before why none of the dive ops here have larger boats. I'm sure most divers would prefer the comfort of a larger boat. I presume the decision is mostly an economic one -- based on how many bookings the op could get, how much divers here are prepared to pay, etc. I'm sure it's also partly a practical one -- if most of the dive sites were further out, larger boats would be a necessity. Also, there are areas where there are no docks/ slipways available, so beach launches through surf are the norm -- I'm not sure you could do that with anything other than an RIB.

Last edited:
I belong to BSAC a club here in Dubai, We pay a club fee of $620 USD per year. For that we get free Nitrox fills and free diving on our club boats. We have two, one based on the East coast of the UAE and one on the West Coast operating out of Dubai. Each is a 36' hard hull open boat (with canopy) equipped with 2 x 140hp outboards and hold 10 divers with 2 tanks. Most of the commercial operators here have similar boats (some larger) and they charge $70 USD for a 2 tanks dive.

The East coast does have some Traditional looking Arab Dhows, although with Air con lounge and cabins which go out at the weekends and generally do 5- 7 dives over two days (leave Thursday night and come back Sat late afternoon - typically these carry 16 - 20 divers and go to the remote sites in the Mussandam. on top of this they charge $13 USD per AL 80 of Nitrox, although typically the club divers all have our own tanks anyway so this doesn't count. The diving here can be great Certainly the East coast where there are sites for the macro people as well as islands with deep drop offs with plenty of Barracuda, Rays and even whale sharks in the summer. The West coast off Dubai is generally Wrecks - lots off them the shallowest being around 25m with some at 70 - 100m for the tech divers. We can get great Vis +20m or pea soup (especially around this time of year) but it's always worth a trip out - hence I get to dive at least once a week and with at least one weekend a month diving both days :) Dubai diving is a 15m drive and the East coast between 45min and 90 mins depending where you go from.

NC diving is done off bigger boats (up to 20+ divers) and smaller 6 packs. Cost are about $150 per diver and you get to pay to sit on a bouncing boat for 2-3 hrs to and from the dive sites.

My favorite boat is a 6 pack called UnderPressure out of Hatteras, NC and Virginia Beach. The dive lift on the back is Da Bomb for boarding with tech gear on.

Monitor-140a-1.jpg

Two types of boats mainly in the UK, ribs and hard boats. My club rib cost £20/day for 2 dives. Hard boats is either on a charter or per dive basis.

Two boats--We generally use one.
Size: basically a converted lobster boat, but big enough for probably 8-10. Head on board, heater below for cold seasons.
$50 Can. per trip ($45 if dive club member).
Trips range from right close to shore to maybe 10 miles out.

Most of our charter boats here are hard-hulled boats between 28 and 50 feet, with enclosed cabins. Our water temperatures vary between 45 and about 53 degrees, and the weather is often cool and/or wet, so having a place to get inside and warm up between dives is pretty much a given. The ride to the dive site is rarely more than an hour, and most charter trips do two sites per trip. Cost is in the 80 to 100 dollar range, a bit more if a group wants to go somewhere that's a longer drive, and less for the occasional single evening dive.

Randy, Say Hi to JT next time your on the boat from Garry and Cat. We moved from NJ to Florida so haven't been up there diving for 8yrs. JT always ran a good boat, Was worth the drive from Jersey to dive with him.

Here on the eastern end of Erie, this is the "Rolls Royce":

50' with room for up to 30 divers...

Osprey Charters

prices are around $120 for a two tank (two wrecks) charter. Sometimes more for long hauls.

there are some 6 packs around too....

In Fort Lauderdale Florida, two tank dive with nitrox is around $80. I use Welcome to Miss Conduct Dive Charters Which is a 30' six pack. More common is the 40'-50' cattle boat taking 20-30 divers. From dock to dive site is about 30 minutes. The six pack will take you to whatever sites the group wants so I've only used Conrad for the past 5yrs.

Will do Garry.................... You're living where I want to end up someday. We take 2-4 trips to FTL every year to beach dive BHB and LBTS and do an occasional boat dive.

Back
Top Bottom