OW Diver Manual, Is one agency's print material better than another?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

asp9208

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I guess this is a twist on the old "Which Agency" thread. And I'll start by saying I don't have a dog in this fight, I'm just curious. Which of the major agencies, PADI, SSI, NAUI, have the better training manual at the open water level. For those who have seen them, whose do you think has been kept the most up to date, whose is the most thorough, whose, if any, may still be useful to the owner some time after their initial training has passed?

I understand the basic skills taught at the OW level are essentially the same between agencies and that the course quality itself will depend greatly on the instructor; but I found myself looking at my old OW manual the other day and got to wondering, does any particular agency put more effort into their print materials than the others?

All agencies manuals are better than IANTD’s. I doubt that there is better documentation than PADI’s.

I'd say PADI had the best quality (production/printing and scope of knowledge) at entry levels. They're only let down by bad photographs that reinforce negative behaviors (kneeling/bad trim etc...), although that may be addressed in future editions.

The PADI system is designed to enable a higher degree of self-study by students. This leads to comprehensive materials, reviews etc.. Smaller agencies, without the budget for slick production, might rely more on instructor-driven training, so materials needn't be as robust and self-explanatory.

You pay a premium for PADI manuals though.

I guess this is a twist on the old "Which Agency" thread. And I'll start by saying I don't have a dog in this fight, I'm just curious. Which of the major agencies, PADI, SSI, NAUI, have the better training manual at the open water level. For those who have seen them, whose do you think has been kept the most up to date, whose is the most thorough, whose, if any, may still be useful to the owner some time after their initial training has passed?

I understand the basic skills taught at the OW level are essentially the same between agencies and that the course quality itself will depend greatly on the instructor; but I found myself looking at my old OW manual the other day and got to wondering, does any particular agency put more effort into their print materials than the others?

I only have enough experience with IANTD and PADI materials to have an opinion about those so I'll comment mostly on those particular ones and comment only generally about what I know of others.

To start with, PADI.

PADI keeps its instructors and their instructional material well up to date. 4 times a year they communicate any developments and changes to *all* of their professionals via two publications and it is a requirement of membership to read all of that. In essence, if anything groundbreaking were to happen then all PADI pro's world wide would be updated about it within about 4 months. If you have a question, no problem. They have a permanent staff of training advisors who you can phone with any question whatsoever and they will help you. As an instructor, this is an invaluable resource.

Likewise, their standards evolve over time. Every year a new version of the standards is published and any new practices are pushed down to the ranks. This year, for example, PADI has made some big improvements in the standards and within the time frame of about 8 months all of the instructor materials world wide in a large variety of languages will be updated and rolled out, including local workshops so that shops, CD's and instructors have a chance to hear how they would like to have this implemented and to ask questions. As an instructor I have a hard time thinking that any agency could do a better job of that.

I'm sure some other agencies do something similar but given the fact that PADI is bigger than all other training agencies combined, I think their ability to keep their instructors current is a model of how things should be done. From what I understand, other WRSTC agencies basically wait until PADI changes something and then copy it an propagate it through their own system a year or two later, if at all. One agency (and I won't name names here) doesn't appear to even write their own books. I've seen the books and appear to be straightforward copies of PADI's books with just bare minimum changes that were designed to not get sued for copyright infringement. The upside is that at least their books are good :)

On the student side, however, PADI is much slower to change. The student materials are updated every... I want to say 10 years or so. Since the instructors are up to date then students are still informed but I do find myself explaining on a fairly regular basis that the information in the books is out of date with respect to certain details. PADI doesn't do this arbitrarily, however. They attach a LOT of value to be absolutely accurate in what they say, so where some agencies make "knee jerk" changes based on new developments, PADI will wait until there is a convincing amount of research done on the topic to make the same change.

One example of this has to do with developments in ascent strategies due to "bubble" models. NAUI (not picking on NAUI, just saying) implemented a recommendation a few years ago to stop at 1/2 of the deepest depth for 1 min during an ascent for offgassing purposes. This was based on theoretical developments in bubble models. PADI *knew* about the development but didn't implement the same recommendation because there has been *zero* convincing research (in fact, to the best of my knowledge, zero research at all) to suggest that doing so makes any difference to your safety as a diver. In the end NAUI maybe be right and intuitively many divers may think this, but one thing is sure.... You know for sure that *if* PADI says it, it has been proven. With some other agencies, no so much.

In my mind, this means that while PADI is generally behind the curve with respect to adopting new developments, as a student you can be very VERY sure that what you are being taught is tried and true. In fact, I'll go so far as to suggest that this may be the core difference in approach that defines most agency discussions.

On the topic of IANTD. I'll preface this by saying that I'm not an IANTD instructor but I know several and they all tell me that if you have a question about anything that, just like PADI, you can phone them and get someone on the line to help you. One of my friends had a particularly troubling issue occurring in one of his advanced courses and Tom Mount himself literally invited him over to talk about it over drinks. So access to the core thinking seems to be good.

Their student materials, however... WOW...... the words "stream of consciousness", and "rambling" come to mind. The words "structured", "clear" and "consistent" do not. Not even close. IANTD has good training because their instructors are good, but unlike PADI the IANTD materials seem to be utterly devoid of any foundation in educational theory or practice. I think Tom may have written them himself and while they *buldge* from pearls of wisdom, it's going to take a committed student to sift through it all to find them and to put the whole puzzle together.

In one way, one may argue that there is a benefit to this, which is that the "lazy" or "unmotivated" student won't end up with an IANTD cert. The flip side, however, is that they do nothing to make learning easy.

As for other agencies, I've read some of the GUE stuff and what I read was similar to the IANTD materials on the "stream of consciousness" scale. I've also seen materials from NAUI, BSAC, CMAS and several other recreational agencies and although I never read it in detail, nothing I've seen so far in terms of materials for recreational diving has been as bad as the materials I've seen for technical courses. Moreover, none of it seemed bad at all, with the exception of BSAC, which seems to be entirely instructor driven and highly inconsistent from one presentation/club to another.

R..

I took PADI OW and TDI for Intro to Nitrox (online). Without question, the PADI materials were better written and definitely edited better. In my TDI course I found at least 6 errors in test questions based upon the course material, but I believe TDI may have addressed those by now. They were very responsive to my feedback messages and I had conversations with a couple of different people.

That said, I thought the PADI photos were a bit outdated in their depictions of diving. Similarly the SDI (???) Drysuit course manual and Rescue manual both have horribly outdated photos. I think it's just the nature of it, but pics from the 80s and 90s shouldn't be used as examples of modern rigs, in my opinion. (As someone who dives with regs from the 60s through the 90s I like the older gear but it's not what most new divers are going to be exposed to, in my experience.)

So I would say, based upon my limited experience, the PADI materials are kept up-to-date better than other agencies. It makes sense, though, as they bring in the most money, right?

It makes sense that the largest certifying agency would have the money to make a nicer manual.

I don't think I've heard from any SSI guys yet. What do y'all think of the current state of your manuals. I've heard some complaints about the older SSI manuals having a lot of errors has this been addressed in later editions or are they still using the same stuff?

Money has a part to play like most things in life. But I think rather that PADI understands the importance of quality collateral along with markering. This is what differentiate them from the rest.

IMO they are more professional in their approach than the rest. If you put PADI manuals next to other agengies manual and ask someone outside of the industry to pick one, I will bet that PADI will come out tops 97.65372846% of the time. Why? Because it looks professional and "attractive" compare to the rest.

If you put and export quality apple next to an apple from my backyard and present both to a monkey, the export product will be the obvious choice 100% of the time.

Humans are the same, we are visual creatures. If it looks good then it must be good.

It makes sense that the largest certifying agency would have the money to make a nicer manual.

I don't think I've heard from any SSI guys yet. What do y'all think of the current state of your manuals. I've heard some complaints about the older SSI manuals having a lot of errors has this been addressed in later editions or are they still using the same stuff?

Let's just say that if PADI makes a typo in one of their books that the SSI book will have the same typo.

SSI has good books because PADI has good books. Remember in the late 80's when IBM came out with the first PC and several companies put "clones" on the market?

That's SSI.

R..

Reactions: Doc
I will have to admit that PADI has some good materials production wise. SEI is way behind in some areas and I can speak to that as I am one of the people who reviews and helps write some of it. At the OW level however our text is IMO one of the best out there and it is not even produced by SEI. Our OW manual is Dennis Graver's Scuba Diving which is now in it's 4th edition. It was just updated in 2010 and it is one of the most comprehensive OW manuals.

Extensive discussion of snorkeling and skin diving skills, air consumption discussing SAC/RMV, rescue skills, tables, gas laws, etc.. What I appreciate the most is that it never talks down to the diver. It is simple and straightforward but there are some areas that may require a student to grab a dictionary or look something up. Or better yet ask the instructor during one of classroom sessions. And not one picture of someone on their knees.

As an SDI Instructor I have to say that while the SDI Manual is ok, it is a little bit light on content compared to Graver's and there are some pictures of people on their knees. But since I certify OW thru SEI and will issue an SDI card if someone wants one it's not an issue for me. Students are shown both and they even get a look at the PADI and NAUI manuals as I have those as well. I explain why I use Gravers and show them the differences.

Jim are you planning on writing a follow up or AOW version of your book?

Back
Top Bottom