Diver assaults another diver underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

haumana ronin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Scuba diving assault caught on camera off Kona Coast
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2014 10:39 PM EDT Updated: Monday, May 12, 2014 11:08 PM EDT
By Tim Sakahara - bio | email
KONA, HAWAII (HawaiiNewsNow) -

An assault is caught on camera 50 feet underwater. The video shows one diver ripping off the air supply of another diver. Now authorities are investigating.

Environmentalists and reef fish collectors have had disputes in the past, but this one may have crossed over into criminal action with one party calling for serious charges to be filed.

The video was taken off the Kona Coast last Thursday. The dive turned ugly when one diver darts over and rips off Rene Umberger's breathing supply 50 feet underwater. The scene was captured on two cameras.

"This man needs to be arrested. I think this man needs to be arrested immediately for attempted murder," said Rene Umberger, coral reef consultant and scuba diver.

Umberger, 53, was eventually able to get her regulator back in and breathe again. That's when she captured the suspect make another threatening gesture with his arms toward her.

"I honestly thought he was coming back for a second attack," said Umberger. "I got up on the boat and I said oh my God, someone just tried to kill me underwater."

Umberger and the others were documenting damage to coral reefs when they came across the pair of divers who clearly didn't want their picture taken. She credits her experience and more than 10,000 dives with saving her life.

"An inexperienced diver would likely panic. Either panic from the stress of the situation and shoot for the surface. They may panic because their air source is missing and they can't find it. Any of those things causes a diver to shoot for the surface and those incidents often lead to death," said Umberger. "Never in a million years. Never in a million years did I think that someone would attack like that, especially from such a distance. It's not like we were close up or in their face."

She believes she knows who the suspect is and wants to press charges.

The State Division of Conservation and Resources Enforcement says it is investigating and will turn its information over to the County Prosecutors office.

"The greater issue is that Hawaii's reefs are being emptied by these commercial operations," said Umberger. "Hawaii's reefs are suffering incredibly from this unlimited collection."

The video shows how aggressive people can be.

Collecting reef fish is legal if you have a permit and are in a designated area and meeting fish size, season and quantity rules. There's no word from the State if the suspect was diving legally.

Scuba diving assault caught on camera off Kona Coast - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

-----------------------------------------------

Definitely an :eek: situation. Thoughts? Attempted murder? Reckless endangerment? PR hoax?

:zen:

:shakehead: Wow
Someone needs to take serious action on this. Attempted murder maybe over the top but some level of assult at the very least.
On a lighter note, not sure how they will be able to do a identification parade in scuba gear, could be challenging.

I've generally considered carrying the Frogman way surplus to requirement, maybe I should rethink that. But given what I've seen here and on BI, can't say I'm really surprised.

I've generally considered carrying the Frogman way surplus to requirement, maybe I should rethink that. But given what I've seen here and on BI, can't say I'm really surprised.

I'm not able to suss out what your meaning is here. Perhaps it's because im not familiar with terminology? May I request your indulgence and a further explanation. Thx

I'm not able to suss out what your meaning is here. Perhaps it's because im not familiar with terminology? May I request your indulgence and a further explanation. Thx

The old Puma Frogman is a rather BFK.

My lack of surprise at the collector's behavior, and at certain commentary in local forums saying he just reacted to "harassment," comes from what I've observed on Oahu and on the Big Island. At times, folks here remind me a good bit of guys I've met in the back woods of West Virginia…and that's never more true than when collecting from the ocean is involved.

:shocked:

There are two options here:

1) this is real and the diver who committed the assault should clearly be held responsible for his actions

2) it's a 'Peta' or 'Sea Shepherd' style video that was staged to create controversy, vilify a certain group and lend credence to the idea that your agenda must be righteous by acting like a victim.

It's impossible to see from the video alone which is the case.

R..

Thanks Dr Lecter. BFK, I get that. :)

So . . .you people can see a video? All I'm seeing is a blurry picture of a guy holding a bag of some sort with one hand coming or going.

I just saw that on MSN & missed it here.......was gunna ask the same exact question.......Certainly someone here can make an ID......:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom