Split Fin Bashing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divescape

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In several posts recently I have seen several disparaging remarks about split fins. I did a quick search but there are no posts that give any reasoned response as to why. So here the question. Why do you consider split fins to be so useless?

FYI I dive in cold waters 7 degrees – 18 Celsius, but not often in any significant currents, mostly in surge and low viz conditions.

...In several posts recently I have seen several disparaging remarks about split fins..

I'll bet you saw the video where the tree-hugger got into it with the fish collector and posters opined that maybe she got Thunderballed because of her yellow SFs?

It's "the nets". It's considered good sport to criticize.

If they make you happy, use them. If not, don't let simple blind criticism sway you.

After a number of years, you'll try and keep several different kinds for various uses. Sometimes there is a specific fin for a certain situation. Time and testing will tell you.

Lately, I've been switching off between free-dive long blades and Force Fins. Talk about a dichotomy.

Whenever you're in the water, try swapping out different kinds with a buddy on a surface interval and do some deep breath holds. Be analytical. Learn the various different types of kick styles. Think about what feedback you are getting. (Then engage in existing threads in regards to the safety of doing deeper breath hold dives while off-gassing on an SI, a topic almost as prevalent)

Why the animosity?

1) They do look odd (no less so than Force Fins which garner equal derision but FF has the panache of being stupid expensive due to higher levels of technical voodoo enigmatic laminar flow. That's NASA stuff you wouldn't understand so really just trust Bob Evans who makes these using the leftovers from the sausage plant, down on the farm. But, I digress.)

2) They are easy to make jokes about (the duct tape/"There- I fixed it" photos) Out of the water, they do kind-of flop about and wiggle-waggle funny. Joe Pesci finds them amusing.

3) It has been the immediate "go to" up-sell at many dive shops for a first time buyer, along with a self purging dry-snorkel. (Since being introduced first in black, now they have them in Tech Black, also in Tactical Black) They have replaced the 12# Jet Fins at the LDS. They now come in Yumyum Yellow and DiveGirl Pink

4) People attack what they don't necessarily understand, stuff that is different (Xeno was my first instructor, he made me phobic.)

5) People criticize what they have tried and found to be a waste of money (Not necessarily the most common criteria for an internet opinion)

6) They are the most visually identifiable and most widely purchased "new alternative" technologies in the effort to improve fins (now that fins have evolved from mere flippers). There are many other model variant designs in this techno-fix category (some with whiskers, batteries, servos or simple springs), but very few make it to market. This could be the #1 single best reason to go to DEMA, to see what kind of cockamamy fin technology is looking for backers. Many others tech-fins are priced very high, possibly as a price point marketing ploy. Splits thusly draw the most attention: You can't swing a dead cat on a dive boat without hitting a pair.

7) __________________________

(did I mention: "It's "the nets". It's considered good sport to criticize" ?)

Last edited:
In b4 Freediving fins come up :D

And, the main reason the split-fin bashing started (as far as I'm aware) was a group of zealous gear-standardizers realized how useless they were in Tech situations. They're typically not powerful enough to move a big, heavily-ladened tech diver (multiple tanks, drysuit, lights, etc). They also don't give you the kick options when silt is a major concern (cave and wreck). Since they didn't work for all situations, some of these guys started bashing pretty hard.

Split fin proponents are not often experienced divers (experience isn't a lot of dives), not helping the cause of the split fins. BUT, they find it easier to kick with splits. Others claim they get no thrust from their kicks with splits. They're both by design. Splits are closer to first gear on a bicycle. A lot of really easy fin strokes will get you where you need to be. Paddle fins are a few hard fin kicks to get the same result. Either way, you go from one place to the next under MOST conditions.....with Paddle fins being more flexible in terms of conditions.

Another big difference is durability. Most paddle fins are made out of one material. They're one giant heap of rubber. Split fins are typically rubber bonded to plastic, and are often regarded as less durable. I agree that they're less durable, it's hard to disagree with that if you've ever seen an example of each. But there are so many fins in rental fleets that have bajillions of dives on them that I can't imagine they're so crappy you'd need to watch out for them. My wife's fins are an old set of paddle fins.....I think the origin on them is the late 60s to mid 70s. They're in great shape. A buddy has splits that are 15 years old, and they're in great shape. I don't need fins to last 50 years....but it's another portion of the bashing you'll see if you look.

I don't dislike split fins, I dislike fin manufacturers that charge through the nose for gimmicks that they can't prove. That's my biggest issue with them. They have all of these fancy fluid dynamics terms and drawings that make ZERO sense. For the record, I'm a Fluid Dynamicist. I can't recall a single ad for a fin that had USEFUL/ACCURATE fluid dynamics represented on them......just stuff to sucker in divers that don't know better. This isn't just splits, this is a BUNCH of fins (Seawing Nova, AquaLung "Slingshot" or whatever). It's not to say they're bad fins, just that the fluidic principals they're advertising are absolute garbage and they're literally selling snake oil.

Besides, if you wear split fins, you will die.

Many divers who have moved from recreational into technical diving had started out in split fins and then learned to use a paddle fin and came to enjoy the power and maneuverability. They know that a paddle fin's performance for a recreational scuba diver is usually better than a split fin and if that diver ever wants to add more propulsion techniques and certifications to his or her toolbox a paddle fin will take you from an OW flutter to Cave CCR anti-silt kicks ... and often for less money.

---------- Post added May 16th, 2014 at 08:04 AM ----------

Besides, if you wear split fins, you will die.

Well, in South Africa he might. Ever notice how a split fin looks like a fishing lure?

I tried bashing somebody with split fins once but they are too floppy to have a decent effect :wink:

Seriously though one of my best buddies uses split fins and she is a very capable diver in them. Personally I have never used split fins, so can't comment.

Splits work fine in easy going low current mess around rec diving. Also easy on the muscles and joints. Now if part of your job requires you to quickly qet to a diver and help rescue them then splits are far from optimal. I dove splits for a long time, and still do when messing around, but during rescue class I brought up a diver who had rigged his BCD to not inflate and had to literally be swam to the surface. I had my splits on at the time. Was a lot of work but I got it done. (Did not want to inflate my BCD for risk if I lost contact). I now have a second set of fins I use if work/current might be involved.

"Just say no to split fins!" A personal mantra.

I don't like other divers using split fins because of the vortex most/many splitfin wearers churn up. Makes a mess of the bottom and my hairdo.

Just say NO!

In several posts recently I have seen several disparaging remarks about split fins. I did a quick search but there are no posts that give any reasoned response as to why. So here the question. Why do you consider split fins to be so useless?

FYI I dive in cold waters 7 degrees – 18 Celsius, but not often in any significant currents, mostly in surge and low viz conditions.

At this point, I think much of the bashing of split fins is just something of a running joke, more in mockery of the zealots in the 'if you wear split fins, you will die' camp than the fins themselves.

I must say I am truly amazed! Considered opinions and great information thank you. Far less bashing then I expected! I must say that our seven gill sharks are partial to yum yum yellow fins but they do not discriminate between varieties or brands!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom