What is the most efficient way to Log and Track your dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pawlu

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hell everybody, I am brand new to scuba diving and performing my open water check out dives this upcoming weekend. I would like to know what the most efficient method is for tracking of dives. I currently do not own a dive computer however will be purchasing one shortly. Any recommendations for software/programs to use that are simple and support a good variety of dive computers?

Thanks again.

I'm in about the same boat, Got my OW last weekend. I'm using a paper logbook (mainly for backup), but if you look up at the top of the screen, 2 buttons to the right of "Forums" there is "SB Logbook". I'm putting my dives in that, seems like a very complete package, and yes, it does look like it can import from a dive computer. I've got the computer, but haven't gotten the 80 dollar cable it requires to actually connect it to the system.

I'm hoping you get lots of good suggestions from the more experienced hands here, I'm going to be watching this thread.

Steve

I an newly certified as well. Along with the dive log book I am also using an app called Divemate USB. It's really handy, you can upload directly from most dive computers to your phone or tablet. There's a spot for signatures and pictures, if you happen to take any. Check it out in the app store (not sure if it's android only) they have a demo video.

My favorite software is Microsoft Excel. It lets me choose what data I want to put in, what data I don't care about, it lets me customize my look, and I'm currently syncing it to the MSOffice cloud across all of my devices AND I can find it through any web browser. I sync my Petrel with its proprietary logging program, but do very little with that data. I also try to keep a paper backup on whatever sheets the LDS provides for cheap.

Dive Log 5 - its a direct download from your computer if you have one. If without a computer, most of the information is from a dropdown list so very convenient. I have around 800 dives on mine and it is so easy to review weighting, exposure suit, conditions at various sites over years, etc.

I know there are computer programs out there, but I am still (after 17 years) a proponent of the paper log book. I fill it out shortly after each day's dives, it's full of notes on weighting, conditions, observations, and other divers I've met. It has some cool stamps and even a few celebrity autographs. Whatever fom of log you keep, keep a log. Include in it in addition to where and when and for how long and how deep the dive was, the following important information for you reference in the future: Equipment you used, including weight used, exposure suit worn, size and type of tank(s) and weight distribution. Also log any discomfort you had- including being cold, too restricted, etc. You will create a database of information to help you hone right in on appropriate weight and exposure protection for various places and conditions.
DIvemasterDennis

Been using a paper logbook for 28 years now, doesn't need batteries or an internet connection

I occasionally download dives from my computer if I want to print them out for some reason or check my SAC rate, but it is quicker to write the stuff down, plus have the log stamped and signed.

Dive Log 5 for PC:

Diving Log 5.0 - Scuba Log, Scuba Logbook, Dive Log, Divelog - Logbook software for scuba diving - Logbuch Software zum Tauchen

Mac Dive
for... you guessed it:

MacDive

Both applications allow you to download dives from your dive computer to your desktop.

I also use Dive Log for iOS on my iPhone:

Dive Log | Native iPhone application for managing your SCUBA logbook

It's great to carry your mobile and enter your info on site. The cool thing is that it will sync perfectly with Mac Dive via Wi-Fi... just like using iTunes.

Back
Top Bottom