Diving under Bermuda?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tekdiver10

Reaction score
Hey,
I know this may sound a little far fetched, but bare with me.
I was flicking channels when I came apon the travel channel and they were having a show on the Bermuda Triangle and the island of Bermuda its self. They were saying how Bermuda is an island surrounded with water thousands of feet deep and the island underwater is actually in the shape of an hour glass almost or an apple core. And the picture showed the "crust" or land portion of the island to be very thin. So I was thinking could a diver swim down off the wall of Bermuda and actually start swimming under the island? It seems possable in theory. Hummmm......

Yeah sure, now you've gone and done it! You just let the cat out of the bag, and now some wise guy with a scuba tank and a saw is going to dive down their and cut off that last little teeny weeny bit of dirt still holding the island from falling over.

When it does fall over into the ocean, I hope you'll be happy knowing it was your loose talk of this closely guarded secret that is the cause of the disaster.

Tekdiver10:
Hey,
I know this may sound a little far fetched, but bare with me.
I was flicking channels when I came apon the travel channel and they were having a show on the Bermuda Triangle and the island of Bermuda its self. They were saying how Bermuda is an island surrounded with water thousands of feet deep and the island underwater is actually in the shape of an hour glass almost or an apple core. And the picture showed the "crust" or land portion of the island to be very thin. So I was thinking could a diver swim down off the wall of Bermuda and actually start swimming under the island? It seems possable in theory. Hummmm......

Nope, not possible. The island actually slopes outwards. As for swimming under the island. Bermuda's north end is littered with underwater caves. I have dove in many of them.

see Advanced Diver Magazine issue 13

www.advanceddivermagazine.com

MHO, I think it would be possible to cut it. Maybe that is what happened to Atlantis many years ago. I also think Curt Bowen is either of the FBI, CIA, secret service or something of that nature and he is trying to cover up the security leak. OORRRR he wants to do it himself and get all the glory. Notice that he said he has dove many of the caves around Bermuda. :ph34r:

Tekdiver10:
pt40fathoms,
You don't have to be an *** about it, it was just a joke.

????????????????????

I suppose sarcastic humor is a little hard to put into text form. It was meant as humor and if it came off as offensive, please accept my apologies as that was not my intent.

Geologically speaking, one well placed gas bubble could set off an explosion powerfull enough to topple the island. I remember someone posting a while back that they eat a lot of beans. This may be our man. It would give us a new city to dive on. Hey, you have to be a visionary in this sport.

Oh wait, how to ignite it.... OOOH some 100% and a petroleum product might do the trick.

I don't think it would topple over... it has alot of trees on it so it would probably just float a little below the surface.... probably would wash up on the jersey shore... everything else does...

nyresq:
I don't think it would topple over... it has alot of trees on it so it would probably just float a little below the surface.... probably would wash up on the jersey shore... everything else does...

I'll strap a couple of outboard motors to one side of the floating island and bring is up North. We Canadians need a nice warm tropical island up here. Now don't bother me about weather patterns, ocean currents, and usless things like science and reality. I'm in a zone right now dreaming of my new island. I think I'll rename it The Republic of PT40fathoms Tropical Island Paradise and Donut Shop, and don't tell me the names too long for my new country either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom