Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diving under Bermuda?

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Diving under Bermuda?

Hey,
    I know this may sound a little far fetched, but bare with me.
    I was flicking channels when I came apon the travel channel and they were having a show on the Bermuda Triangle and the island of Bermuda its self. They were saying how Bermuda is an island surrounded with water thousands of feet deep and the island underwater is actually in the shape of an hour glass almost or an apple core. And the picture showed the "crust" or land portion of the island to be very thin. So I was thinking could a diver swim down off the wall of Bermuda and actually start swimming under the island? It seems possable in theory. Hummmm......

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    Yeah sure, now you've gone and done it! You just let the cat out of the bag, and now some wise guy with a scuba tank and a saw is going to dive down their and cut off that last little teeny weeny bit of dirt still holding the island from falling over.

When it does fall over into the ocean, I hope you'll be happy knowing it was your loose talk of this closely guarded secret that is the cause of the disaster.
    A good instructor is not one who impresses students with the depth of their knowledge;
    Rather, they impresses upon students a depth of knowledge.
    (c. 2004)

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekdiver10
    Hey,
    I know this may sound a little far fetched, but bare with me.
    I was flicking channels when I came apon the travel channel and they were having a show on the Bermuda Triangle and the island of Bermuda its self. They were saying how Bermuda is an island surrounded with water thousands of feet deep and the island underwater is actually in the shape of an hour glass almost or an apple core. And the picture showed the "crust" or land portion of the island to be very thin. So I was thinking could a diver swim down off the wall of Bermuda and actually start swimming under the island? It seems possable in theory. Hummmm......

Nope, not possible. The island actually slopes outwards. As for swimming under the island. Bermuda's north end is littered with underwater caves. I have dove in many of them.

see Advanced Diver Magazine issue 13

www.advanceddivermagazine.com
    Curt Bowen - U/W Photographer
    http://www.curtbowen.com
    Publisher / Advanced Diver Magazine
    http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
    President ADM Exploration Foundation (501c3)
    http://www.admfoundation.org/

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

pt40fathoms,
    You don't have to be an *** about it, it was just a joke.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    pt40fathoms,

So was his post, Lighten Up
    Curt Bowen - U/W Photographer
    http://www.curtbowen.com
    Publisher / Advanced Diver Magazine
    http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
    President ADM Exploration Foundation (501c3)
    http://www.admfoundation.org/

lost, even with a compass

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos

spy or fbi

MHO, I think it would be possible to cut it. Maybe that is what happened to Atlantis many years ago. I also think Curt Bowen is either of the FBI, CIA, secret service or something of that nature and he is trying to cover up the security leak. OORRRR he wants to do it himself and get all the glory. Notice that he said he has dove many of the caves around Bermuda. :ph34r:

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    pt40fathoms,
    ????????????????????

I suppose sarcastic humor is a little hard to put into text form. It was meant as humor and if it came off as offensive, please accept my apologies as that was not my intent.
    A good instructor is not one who impresses students with the depth of their knowledge;
    (c. 2004)

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99
    Photos
    Geologically speaking, one well placed gas bubble could set off an explosion powerfull enough to topple the island. I remember someone posting a while back that they eat a lot of beans. This may be our man. It would give us a new city to dive on. Hey, you have to be a visionary in this sport.

Oh wait, how to ignite it.... OOOH some 100% and a petroleum product might do the trick.
    Why is the water warm and why are you smiling?
    SSI OW, 1985
    SSI Master
    SSI Dive Con candidate
    TDI Adv. Nitrox

Registered

Has not set a "status"

I don't think it would topple over... it has alot of trees on it so it would probably just float a little below the surface.... probably would wash up on the jersey shore... everything else does...
    Butch taught me well
    TDI ADV NITROX & DECO
    LGS Black water rescue, Rapid deployment search & rescue

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by nyresq
    I don't think it would topple over... it has alot of trees on it so it would probably just float a little below the surface.... probably would wash up on the jersey shore... everything else does...
    I'll strap a couple of outboard motors to one side of the floating island and bring is up North. We Canadians need a nice warm tropical island up here. Now don't bother me about weather patterns, ocean currents, and usless things like science and reality. I'm in a zone right now dreaming of my new island. I think I'll rename it The Republic of PT40fathoms Tropical Island Paradise and Donut Shop, and don't tell me the names too long for my new country either.
    (c. 2004)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast