How to handle violation of a dive site rules (Solo Diving)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TN-Steve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Gang,

Had some great diving this weekend at a local site. One thing that bothered me is that I saw something that made me very uncomfortable, and didn't know how to handle it.

The local site (which I will not name) does allow Solo Diving, but the individual has to be Solo or Tech Intro to Cave certified, and have full redundant equipment. (Pony or dual isolated tanks with separate regs). You also have to file a detailed dive plan with the shop and follow it. It was kind of busy that day there, and I had snagged a picnic table for setting up, and was waiting for the rest of the group to arrive. There was a guy and his wife looking for a place, and since I had plenty of room told them that they were welcome to use my table, that there were only going to be a couple of other folks coming, so no problem at all.

I noticed that he was the only one who setup gear, basic single tank and reg, and talking to him, got the feeling that he had been certified longer than I (no big accomplishment), but not for more than a year or so. I noticed that his wife wasn't gearing up, he said that she didn't dive, she just watched.

He dove, came back after his dive, packed up the gear and left before the rest of my crew showed up. (I was there early, they were a bit later). It wasn't until after he had gone in solo that I realized what he was doing. Since I didn't KNOW what his certifications were, but I knew I hadn't seen a pony tank or doubles I wasn't sure what to do. Part of me felt like letting the management know, but part of me was more the "You're not the SCUBA Police, mind your own business". I let the MYOB side win out... but did I do the right thing?

I'm not trying to police him, I thing I'm more concerned for the site, and that nothing happens that would jeopardize solo diving for those who do meet the site requirements. I also don't know how strictly they enforce them. I also didn't directly challenge him before he dove, so I could be mistaken, but the fact that he was solo single tank raises enough flags even for me.

What advice do you have. Next time I'm at the site, I'm going to present this as a hypothetical to them... see what they say.

Thanks, and I'll hang up and take my answer offline.

Steve

I might mention it to management...then again I might not. Alot would depend on how capable he appeared. We might invite him to dive with us.

Last edited:
Well, you were really not trying to make any waves but you know that was wrong or you would not be asking it here. You had several choices from the getgo. 1) simply look the other way, dummy up and see nothing. (The question is, "how would you feel today if he was dead?" Pretty screwed up question huh?) 2) Explained the rules. (He just might be new to the area and just did not know). 3) Offer to let him join your group. 4) Report him to the site manager. (This would keep you having to do a face to face and possible B#$%&ing contest.

The plain truth is that given the same situation I feel that most would have done the same as you. It really sucks being the scuba police and no group does it more than us cave divers. We know that if someone dies, we have to send in a recovery diver which might endanger their life, dive site can get closed, family members and friends are hurt, harder rules put into place, people getting sued, etc. To say the least that a person just died because they just wanted to put their head underwater.

So I think that you know the right answer to your question but will you do the right thing next time. You might save a life just by being an A$$.

What makes you think he was certified for only a year or so? Even if he was, that seems to be more than long enough to enroll in instructor certification courses, according to posts I've seen.

I've been certified for several decades and prefer to dive alone, for the freedom and sheer bliss of the experience, and also for safety reasons. An experienced diver is safer alone in uncomplicated (not cave!) diving situations at moderate depths. Other people can be dangerous, especially inexperienced and marginally trained divers.

In any event, it should be my decision.

I would probably have asked him, "Don't they require redundant equipment here for solo diving?" in a completely neutral tone. As has been said above, he may not have known. By taking that approach, you've made the attempt at educating him (if in fact he needed it), without being the dive police. If he chose to go ahead and ignore the "recommendation", you will have done your job.

I am more of an MYOB type, but I probably would have casually mentioned something to the diver about a redundant gas supply for solo diving and gauged his response to determine if further discussion would be useful (i.e. if he acted very defensive, I would probably just stop there). If he died on the dive, I would be distraught, but I could live with myself knowing that I made an attempt.

If it really bothers you, another option is to explain the scenario to the site management and ask them how they would like you to handle it if it happens again.

MYOB. You are not the scuba police. We are all responsible for planning and executing OUR OWN dives. I don't care if someone if diving doubles, singles, dry, wet, vintage, rebreather.... I enjoy talking with other divers but I don't tell them how to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom