Scalding hot tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scoobert

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I waited today while the dive shop filled my tanks. I was driven there by a friend, who commented he had not seen tanks filled before out of the water. I said, wow, these are hot. Another diver had just walked out of the store after his first visit, and commented there was no way they filled them without being in the water. He then felt the tank, and said, yup, filled out of the water. He said he would not have his tanks filled here.

Being newer to this sport/occupation I was unsure, as I had never waited before for my tanks while being filled. Is it normal to give them back very very hot? Is it normal to fill them without cooling in water?
:confused:

So I waited today while the dive shop filled my tanks. I was driven there by a friend, who commented he had not seen tanks filled before out of the water. I said, wow, these are hot. Another diver had just walked out of the store after his first visit, and commented there was no way they filled them without being in the water. He then felt the tank, and said, yup, filled out of the water. He said he would not have his tanks filled here.

Being newer to this sport/occupation I was unsure, as I had never waited before for my tanks while being filled. Is it normal to give them back very very hot? Is it normal to fill them without cooling in water?
:confused:

On liveaboards thei'll fill your tank standing in the tank rack with all your gear set up on it (youll never change tank for the duration of the liveaboard)... So in short, its normal to fill tanks without them being in cooling water and its normal for them to be hot if its done.
Many who do this however let the tanks cool down before they top them up though...

The tanks should not be scalding to the touch. It can be warm due to a fast fill, but it is normal to have the tanks cool and check/top-up as needed before you get them back.

Most dive shops do not fill using a cooling water bath anymore. The water bath is an older method of quickly cooling a tank during filling. It was found to add more problems than solving them. A fan blowing air across the tank during filling is a better method now. A slow fill with also reduce the need for cooling.

well, she said she filled it to 3300PSI hot temp, we will see what I have left later. Last time I left them I had 3600PSI cold. If I only have 3000 this time I will not be as happy.

The tanks should not be scalding to the touch. It can be warm due to a fast fill, but it is normal to have the tanks cool and check/top-up as needed before you get them back.

Most dive shops do not fill using a cooling water bath anymore. The water bath is an older method of quickly cooling a tank during filling. It was found to add more problems than solving them. A fan blowing air across the tank during filling is a better method now. A slow fill with also reduce the need for cooling.

I'm curious, what kind of problems? I see shops do it both ways in my area. In fact, one shop has a pretty elaborate setup where all tanks are submerged whereas another just has large plastic bins and another has nothing.

Main issue is careless handling by the shop personnel that allows water to get in the valve

well, she said she filled it to 3300PSI hot temp, we will see what I have left later. Last time I left them I had 3600PSI cold. If I only have 3000 this time I will not be as happy.

You're not going to be happy if the tanks are at the correct PSI after they cool? You should probably take a deep breath, relax, and realize that you aren't using 100% of that air anyway. Standard AL80 tanks are supposed to be filled to 3000psi. IF you get a little more, be happy. If you get a little less, it's no big deal.

I'm curious, what kind of problems? I see shops do it both ways in my area. In fact, one shop has a pretty elaborate setup where all tanks are submerged whereas another just has large plastic bins and another has nothing.

Let see, problems filling in a water bath.

After your first salty tank, your bath water is now slightly salty. After 100 tanks, it's brine. When do they change the water?
And getting water splashed on the valve, tank not purged, then connected. You've just introduced salt water into your tank.

And lets talk about water not compressing. Explosive failure, well water ain't going to protect you from the shrapnel. Though it will lubricate it for you so it hurts a bit less.

And cooling the tank? Yes you do cool the tank, but not the air. So your tank is cool, but it would still take 1hour, 30mins minimum for the air to cool. Hence your pressure will drop anyways after the air cools.
The only way to ever prevent a hot tank is to fill it 100psi/10 seconds at max. You should be filling 300-600psi/minute as the set safety standard.

So all these old thought benefits were actually disproved a long time ago. And Florida dive shops still allows their untrained customers to do cave fills. Never said the Dive Industry was perfect.
03.gif

Those water tanks are actually a lot safer if they're empty when filling.
And also, ever have a tank fail on you when you're reaching over it to turn that fill knob?
There's a lot of bad setups of Fill stations.

Tank Fill safety is a relatively new thing in the history of scuba. Here in the US the only legitimate defense in court of law for HAZMAT (which scuba cylinders fall under as high pressure cylinders) is PSI training. And very few dive shops actually even read the material, let alone get the training for that. Let's not even talk about tank visuals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom