Scuba Eye Exam?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spthomas

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've gotten to that age that I really can't see well without some vision correction. On surface interval (you know, as in "Scuba is life, the rest is just surface interval?" I wear bifocals. And when I dove before I wore contacts diving, though I don't see well with contacts and they're uncomfortable. So, now that I'm back in diving, I've been thinking about all this vision stuff. Do I need to find an optometerist that is familiar with scuba? Or just go to a normal optometerist and get a normal prescription and then have contacts or get a vision corrected mask? I'm due for a vision exam either way.

And are there any new cool things in scuba vision correction? When I last looked at this several years ago mostly it was grind the mask lens, or have lenses cemented into the mask.

Steve

If you send your optical prescription to Prescription Dive Masks in San Diego, they'll custom grind lenses to bond to either one of their masks or any other mask you send them. Great folks, service and product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've gotten to that age that I really can't see well without some vision correction. On surface interval (you know, as in "Scuba is life, the rest is just surface interval?" I wear bifocals. And when I dove before I wore contacts diving, though I don't see well with contacts and they're uncomfortable. So, now that I'm back in diving, I've been thinking about all this vision stuff. Do I need to find an optometerist that is familiar with scuba? Or just go to a normal optometerist and get a normal prescription and then have contacts or get a vision corrected mask? I'm due for a vision exam either way.

And are there any new cool things in scuba vision correction? When I last looked at this several years ago mostly it was grind the mask lens, or have lenses cemented into the mask.

Steve

I wear contacts for diving. some people get lenses in the mask, people who can mostly see OK, sometimes get stick-in reader lenses for looking at the computer/SPG/

Until I had cataract surgery and new lenses, I always wore a mask ground to my prescription. Worked like a charm. The thing to think about is that if you wear bifocals, you need both a distance and a near (for reading) correction. The mask would be ground to distance. Would you be able to read your computer with the distance correction? If you can do it on land, you can do it u/w. We bought our computers partially based on the BIG numbers. Some of them you almost need a magnifying glass to read them.

Or, simply have bifocal lenses ground for your mask.

I use lenses custom ground for my prescription. They work much better for me due to the significant amount of astigmatism in my eyes. To get around the near focus issue, I had my left lens made 1 diopter weaker, a technique sometimes called monovision. I can read my gauges easily with my left eye, and get distance with my right. The brain blends the two automatically.

My LDS recommended a local optician to do the work. They bind the ground lenses onto the original ones from the mask, thus preserving the impact resistance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just need cheaters for reading. I have the stickons on my mask for the small crap on my computer, it sometimes comes in handy. I can read depth, pressure and time to NDL easily without the assistance because they use big numbers.

Bob
----------------------
Old is better than the alternative.

Check out Seavision they will custom grind lenses based on your prescription including bifocals, I am using on of their single vision masks an love it. Also if you order direct instead of through a dive shop you will save 40 to 50 dollars.

Hi Steve,

I had not a lot of luck with the stickons, having tried a few. What works for me is to use one daily disposable in a single eye. The uncorrected is for reading the computer and corrected for distance.

Let me know if you ever need a buddy for CSSP or Murray.

Contact lenses have become a lot cleverer over the years. If your eyes will tolerate them, these might be well worth another try. I used to wear varifocals out of the water, and used an "inbetween" prescription of daily disposable contacts purely for diving, optimised for near vision. (I'd rather have been able to read my gauges and my camera than spot a pelagic 50m out in the blue!) Now I use varifocal contacts and I almost never wear glasses any more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom