Dive Log/Record Keeping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bc214

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

So I am reconciling my dive log from my OW cert dive last week and getting my log book in good order for the future. We did our dives by the tables and I wore my computer as I am still learning its particulars. I logged all my dives according to the max depth and bottom time (not counting ascent or safety stops) and planned accordingly. I have the SSI log book from class, and additional pages of a generic style that I will use in the future after these pages have been used up.

I know that my total number of dives is important to keep track of, but I have seen multiple times
"dive time" being a consideration. For example, to get into a certain class you may need 50 logged dives and X amount of dive time.

My generic sheets have a section for Dive Time and Bottom Time, with a section to add previous bottom time. That being said, which one is more important to keep track of? My total time in the water, or the bottom time.

Call me a bit of a paperwork/organization nerd, but I figure it would be easier to just tally as I go than to have to add all this up later.

Thanks, as always.

BC

From the time your noggin is submerged till you can breath without your regulator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My generic sheets have a section for Dive Time and Bottom Time, with a section to add previous bottom time. That being said, which one is more important to keep track of? My total time in the water, or the bottom time.

Call me a bit of a paperwork/organization nerd, but I figure it would be easier to just tally as I go than to have to add all this up later.

Thanks, as always.

BC

If you are an organization nerd, or a data junkie, then there is no reason to keep a paper logbook in 2014. But if you aren't, then there still is no reason to keep a paper logbook in 2014. With a digital log, you can instantly get any sort of aggregate data you need, from anywhere, track whatever you like with ease, include vast amounts of comments and notes far beyond the point at which your hand would cramp up from writing, and you don't need to worry about the only record of all of your diving falling over the side of a dive boat, or being lost in a basement flood, or whatever. Lots of threads about this, why not start another one tonight? :D

The only time that I have ever heard of someone tracking total dive time is in the context of rebreather certification. For the vast majority of recreational certification, they look at number of dives. The only time that the discrepancy would be relevant would be if someone padded their dive count by doing a dozen quick bounce dives to 30 feet one afternoon. Heard about people doing dumb stuff like that, but doubt that it is ever an actual issue.

I don't know who started that log book nonsense in the first place. I remember my open water class back in 1977 stressed the importance of keeping a log book and I asked why. I did not get an answer that would justify the time and trouble. I have kept track of my dives since I keep a daily calendar for bussines expenses and it became a habit even when not on business, I would just jot down number of dive s and where.

I bought the dive computer when first available and all my dives are tracked transparently. As I moved from computer to computer and software log to software log, I just started the next dive number on the new box. knowing the number of dives in a given period is no help from a maintenance aspect and certainly no dive history is applicable from year to year in a given dive location.

I still have the question as to the justification for keeping a paper dive log.

I don't know who started that log book nonsense in the first place. I remember my open water class back in 1977 stressed the importance of keeping a log book and I asked why. I did not get an answer that would justify the time and trouble. I have kept track of my dives since I keep a daily calendar for bussines expenses and it became a habit even when not on business, I would just jot down number of dive s and where.

I bought the dive computer when first available and all my dives are tracked transparently. As I moved from computer to computer and software log to software log, I just started the next dive number on the new box. knowing the number of dives in a given period is no help from a maintenance aspect and certainly no dive history is applicable from year to year in a given dive location.

I still have the question as to the justification for keeping a paper dive log.

I think that there are three reasons:

1) There is a rumor that some agencies / instructors check actual logbooks before allowing certain training. I have never personally witnessed this, or known anyone who has experienced it. I don't doubt that this scenario exists somewhere, but it doesn't seem to be common. I guess if someone was going to cheat their way into a class by lying about their total number of dives, then that person wouldn't have any qualms about faking a logbook.

2) Some people really love keeping a record of their dives, because it enhances their diving experience to keep a journal, with all sorts of data in it. That's why I keep it. t doesn't sound like you fit into that category, so for you it would be "nonsense".

3) For people who dive with a variety of gear, tanks, and exposure suits, it's sometimes helpful in figuring out weighting when you switch to a configuration that you haven't used in a while. That also may not apply to you.

I keep electronic log on https://en.divelogs.de/log/hsinhai, as well as on my PC, which i like because of the graphs, maps and stats it provides. Nicest thing is being able to download an ebook which can always be read on my phone.

I still keep the paper log, i guess in case do some additional certification.. biggest hassle with that is keeping up with the signatures.. we seem to usually get pages of signatures at one time to get caught up..

I write in a book, mainly because we tend to debrief in the local pub and chicks love it

On a slightly more serious note I find we 'debrief' better if we sit together over a beer or cup of tea after a dive and write things down, gives us the opportunity to throw some 'what ifs' about and provide feedback to each other in a 'speak now or forever hold your peace' kind of way.

Thanks guys. The electronic dive log seems cool. Dive Log 5 looks awesome, but I'm a Mac guy. Any recommendations on a good Mac based dive log app?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom