optimal weight distribution?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ange2014

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all - I carry 10 kg of weights (all spread out on the back and sides of my weight belt) when i dive and was wondering if there is an optimal way - in general - of distributing these weights to improve my trim and comfort (as I feel a bit of strain on my back due to the weights). I also tend to flip belly up when on the surface. Would it be better to carry some of the weights in the 2 front pockets instead (if so, how much?) and/or around the ankles? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hi all - I carry 10 kg of weights (all spread out on the back and sides of my weight belt) when i dive and was wondering if there is an optimal way - in general - of distributing these weights to improve my trim and comfort (as I feel a bit of strain on my back due to the weights).

10 kg is quite a bit to have on the belt, IMO, and it's no wonder your back is getting strained. Also, if you ever need to dump your weights while underwater, you risk taking the express to the surface, and that may be a bad idea.

When I dive in my trilam suit, I need about 14kg all in all, and I divide that weight in three roughly equal parts. About 5kg is in my weight pockets (easily dumpable, one half at the time if needed), about 5kg I have on a weight belt beneath my crotch strap (dumpable in a pinch, but not that easily), and the rest is fixed on my backplate/BCD. That way, I get less strain on my back and I can dump about 10kg if needed, but in smaller portions, so there's less risk of taking the express to the surface.

You might consider getting some weight pockets to mount on your tank band, and move a bit of your weight from your belt to the pockets.

I also tend to flip belly up when on the surface.
I prefer to flip belly up on the surface. Lying on my back is the most relaxed position for me if I have to surface swim over to the boat or ashore. So belly up isn't necessarily a problem unless you find it uncomfortable. You might try to position your weights on your hips and your front instead of on your back, that should help. I hate having weights on the back of my belt.

Would it be better to carry some of the weights in the 2 front pockets instead (if so, how much?) and/or around the ankles? Thanks in advance for your advice.
Do you mean the regular BCD pockets intended for storing stuff (e.g. a slate), or does your BCD have weight pockets? It's possible to carry some weight in your regular BCD pockets (I've done that with rocks when I haven't brought enough weights), but I think it's a kludge and I wouldn't do that as a permanent solution.

I never put weights on the back of the belt, keep that clear for the cylinder (use keepers) I then try to keep the weights down the sides and even teasing the front a little. You don't want the buckle to be cluttered so be reasonable. This will begin to get you plumb on the surface. Lowering your center of gravity this way will also make you more stable while diving.

10 KG is about 22 pounds which is nothing over the top for a belt but it's getting there. You do not want to load the BC any more than needed top correct trim. This leads to asking how naturally do you swim and hover horizontally? Heavy feet may indicate moving some weight up into BC trim pockets or adding pocket(s) to cam bands. It you want to but a KG in each front ditchable weight pocket the may strike a nice comfort balance once things are repositioned but trim remains the ultimate decider. If you can get a seasoned diver to observe your trim that may change your course of action.

If you are diving nicely with the weight on the belt then moving up to something like a DUI Weight & trim harness will be more comfortable.

Pete

If your bcd does not have quick release pockets you can buy some that fit on a belt. Check your LDS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Switch to a weight and trim harness system. It will put the pressure of the weights more on your shoulders and can be adjusted so you have proper trim.

Personally hate harnesses and they just provide yet more straps and so on.

"Optimum" depends on your trim. If you're head down you need more weight lower, feet down the opposite and so on. If you find its rolling you onto your stomach on the surface then you have too much weight towards the front of your body so move it back.

Personally i'd stick a few KG high up on the tank strap then the rest either on a belt of split between belt and pocket.

Depending on salt vs fresh water and the thickness of wetsuit worn, I carry from 10 to 16 lbs. I like about half the wight, or a little less, in my bc "back pockets," alongside the air tank, and the balance evenly distributed left and right in my integrated bcd weight pocket. Just my contribution to the survey of personal preferences requested by the op.
DivemasterDennis

I use two 10 lb (4.5 kg) weights on a belt, and locate them over my hipbones on either side. If I put them further back, I would also tend to tip over onto my back on the surface.

Where you put (and how you distribute) your weights is going to depend a great deal on your particular anatomy and the equipment you are using. Ideally, you would like your weights placed so that, when you are in a comfortable, horizontal diving position, you can stop moving and remain stable. To check this, get into what you think is a nice horizontal diving position, and have your buddy confirm it; then stop moving altogether, and see where you rotate. If you rotate feet down, you need to move some weight up, for example onto your cambands. If you do a nose dive, you need to move weight down, for example using heavy fins, or ankle weights. If your weights are in the wrong place and you are constantly trying to stabilize yourself, you can get back pain from that. I had horrible back pain when I started diving (with a back-inflate BC and integrated weights) that went away when I started using a backplate with cambands weights, and a weight belt. I just got the distribution right and didn't have to use my body for stability as much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom