for all you backward people not using ft and Fahrenheit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sorry to say that most of the world does not view it this way. We Americans are the few (if not only) ones using an incredibly outdated and complicated system. I know that as an AF brat living oveseas we were told that legislation had been passed to convert the US to metric to join in with the rest of the world. The conversion process was to be completed in 1985, so my schools didn't even teach the English system since it was soon to be obsolete. Of course, we can see how far that got..... !!! And as and American living here... I still have no idea how it works!!! Give me metrics based on 10 anytime!! :bounce:

If you have an internet connection, you can just use google. Really easy.

Go to google and type in the conversion that you want. For instance to convert liters to cubic feet type in "20l in ft^3" and voila!

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF- 8&q=20l+in+ft^3

PSI to bar?

"3000psi in bar"

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&q=3000psi+in+bar

Good stuff.

Peter

Amy - I think Firedogut was toungue-in-cheeking it...

We came by our system honestly - we inherited it!

Also, consider that the UK (and most of their colonies) use a mixed system (at least the last time I was there, distances were all in miles). Or were you just talking about temperature measurement?

US switch to metric? We still have nautical charts in fathoms.

Yes we mix it, Miles on land, nuatical miles on water, I think fathoms are still used by some also, but with the advent of digital equipment we are going metric on that now, Nautical kilometers does'nt have the right ring to it somehow???, What about the Canadians, Centregrade for temp and feet for depth (See other tread), I can't belive dive comp. manufactures hav'nt got this sorted, simple software improvement???

Base 10 is a damed site easier than base 12, but when your taught all this as a kid its easy, its only when you are getting on a bit that it becomes hard!!!! :bounce:

AmyJ:
And as an American living here... I still have no idea how it works!!! Give me metrics based on 10 anytime!! :bounce:
Why this is just so simple...you don't even realize it.

12 inches to a foot
3 feet to a yard
1760 yards to a mile

What's even easier is the liquid measurements

8 ounces in a cup
2 cups in a pint
2 pints in a quart
4 quarts in a gallon
31 gallons in a barrel

I'm not follwing your complications. :D

...has a nicely bodged mix. Gasoline is sold in litres, but milk is sold in gallons. Speed limit signs are in Mile/Hour, but roadside distance signs are posted in kilometres (even with the odometers in the cars reading in miles). I'm surprised that we don't drive on the left side of the road using left side wheel cars... :)

-Frank

Sorry to hijack the thread...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom