Diving then mountain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drummerace

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be diving in Hawai'i in a week or so. I have been planning the dives for a while but then caught a hiccup in planning. I know after diving, to play it safe, you wait 24 hours before boarding a plane. The deepest dive will be around 20m. However, my family and I want to go to the star gazing center on the big island, which is high in the Mt. The problem is this may run close w/ a dive (between 2-12 hours depending on which day we choose to go up). Is the altitude change need to be treated similar to that of an air plane?

-drummerace

Sent from my iPhone.

Yes it does. I did this particular tour and it states that you should not go on the tour within 24 hrs of diving. This was before I was a diver and knew anything about pressure but I opened a soda bottle at the summit and by the time I got back down the pressure had collapsed the bottle. I thought it was the coolest thing.

That is what I thought, wanted to make sure before I found out too late :p

Sent from my iPhone.

Hi everyone,

I'm going to be diving in Hawai'i in a week or so. I have been planning the dives for a while but then caught a hiccup in planning. I know after diving, to play it safe, you wait 24 hours before boarding a plane. The deepest dive will be around 20m. However, my family and I want to go to the star gazing center on the big island, which is high in the Mt. The problem is this may run close w/ a dive (between 2-12 hours depending on which day we choose to go up). Is the altitude change need to be treated similar to that of an air plane?

-drummerace

Sent from my iPhone.

Hi drummerace,

I live on the Big Island. You've already gotten good advice. Wait at least 24 hours before going to the summit of Mauna Kea after diving. I would actually consider a longer surface interval just to be on the safe side. The elevation at the summit is almost 14,000 feet.

I also recommend NOT driving over Saddle Road on the same day as a dive (Saddle Road passes through the center of the island, between Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa, and will expose you to a pressure change similar to that on an airliner).

I also wanted to make you aware of other ascent issues as you drive around the island. Volcanoes National Park (a must visit) is about 4,000 feet. You should probably not dive on the same day as driving to Volcano, unless you have done the calculations using the USN or NOAA Ascent to Altitude tables.... a couple very shallow reef dives in the morning could still require a 5 hour surface interval before safely ascending to 4,000 feet.... you must do the calculations for yourself, don't take my word for it... or simply do not dive and go to the volcano on the same day.

If possible, I recommend arranging your trip schedule so that you go to Mauna Kea and Volcanoes National Park at the beginning of your stay, and save diving for the 2nd part of your stay.

Enjoy your visit. If you have questions, you can also ask them in the Hawaii forum.

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom