Sunblock that will not wash off?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChimarraoMate

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Maybe I just need to hook a small bottle of sunblock to my BC... Last weekend, my son and I did 14-16 dives, spending 12 hours a day for three days in 110 degree sun. We had a few fun dives and performed open water dives for three separate PADI certifications: Rescue Diver, Wreck Diver, and Underwater Digital Photography. We were good about applying Sun Block between dives, but the 15 minute swims to and from the shore proved to be enough to really burn our faces. Now my lips are blistered, swollen and cracking. Our skins and wetsuits were enough to protect our bodies between dives and keep us cool when wet.

Any recommendations of what works is helpful! Note: I do not burn that easy.

I usually wear at the very least a long sleeve rash guard to prevent burns on my body. For your face, I unfortunately do not have a suggestion. Did you swim with your face in the water?

Most of the time when I'm burned on the surface swimming it is on the back of my legs and back of my neck, not my face.

I usually wear at the very least a long sleeve rash guard to prevent burns on my body. For your face, I unfortunately do not have a suggestion. Did you swim with your face in the water?

Most of the time when I'm burned on the surface swimming it is on the back of my legs and back of my neck, not my face.
I like to snorkel, but yes, since I was with a group and having to listen to instruction and receive feedback during the long swims, I swam on my back most of the time.

My understanding is that even so called waterproof sunblocks aren't very, and I think I read someplace they aren't even supposed to use the word "waterproof" anymore. Water resistant ones last a bit better sweating and swimming but still not all that great. I suppose you could carry a bottle with you (probably work better if it's full to help prevent water from leaking in) but I don't know how practical applying it while still in the water really is, especially when you're wet. You could certainly carry a lip balm with sunblock.

If you can't avoid a lot of time of the surface, I suggest mostly swimming face down with a snorkel (if you can't conserve enough air to stay underwater shallow and swim there.) That leaves the back of your neck exposed if you're not using a hood - if you don't want a heavy hood you can get a lycra one that will cover there. Another idea would be to carry some kind of nylon hat with a brim that you could stuff in a pocket and put on at the surface, but you'll still get the reflected light.

i use Banana Boat 60SPF, i only apply it once and i sweat, i swim and never got sunburn
FWIW I'm fair skin so i burn easy, sunblock is one thing i never forget

btw there are special sunblocks for lips, kind of like the chapstick
also ears are very prone to sunburn

Rub a little Beaver on your face. Beaver 43, that is. It is the only thing that keeps me from frying. I am a red headed liveaboard captain who suffers from sun sickness if I don't use it.

Note: follow the application instructions carefully. If you can see it on you, you have way too much on.

SPF chapstick on the lips will help there.

For your head, be sure to wear a lycra hood at the very least and that will help some as well.
Body position helps for the face. If you angle your face right up to the sun, you will burn. If you angle it so the water reflects the sun directly onto your face, you will burn.

Being in a sort of reclined fashion looking at your feet and kicking on your back helps in my experience.
You may just have to snorkel face down if it's really that bad.

Just curiosity, where were you guys diving at? I know E. Australia is very brutal with sun exposure this time of year, even in small amounts.

LOL........ That may be the solution to all of man-kind's problems.

meh, that's duck tape lol

Back
Top Bottom