Senior shore diving Bonaire help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cubalake

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My dive buddy and I (67 & 72 yrs) are returning to Bonaire early next year after doing shore diving there in 2013. We had quite a bit of difficulty entering/exiting last trip. We helped each other as best we could but carrying fins and/or camera didn't free up more than one hand to help.

Someone suggested our flexible soled boot were a detriment and hard soled boots would help.

I'm thinking of wearing a weight belt rather than use my integrated BCD pockets. Then I will use the tank w/BCD like a walker giving me three points ( each foot and the tank) touching the earth as I enter the water. Upon reaching knee high or higher water I'd put the tank/fins on. The weight of the tank and BCD would be off my back while entering but I'd still have to hold on to my fins. Does this sound reasonable? Does anyone have a better or different solution(other than going by boat)?

Another senior here, and I share your pain. We did Bonaire in 2010 and enjoyed the diving immensely, but some of the shore entries over ironstone, broken coral, and with a lot of underwater holes in shallow water were a bit taxing, some bordering on dangerous, especially for my wife/dive buddy. First, despite what some may say on SB, do not even think of not taking hard soled dive boots. If you take even medium soled boots you are going to regret it. You will thank me and anyone else that gives you the same advice. Second, many of the "easier" entries (for Bonaire) still require a short hike over ironstone or broken coral which can be a bit tricky when lugging a tank and weights for the reasons mentioned, and in my opinion, can be a broken ankle waiting to happen, especially for seniors. And not only for seniors. I have seen more than one young, very fit diver do a face plant or fall on their butt in shallow water. We took integrated weight bcs and were glad that we did. I would lug the bc and tank down to the water and mount the bc to the tank at water's edge. Then I would clip fins to bc, inflate the bc and then float it out to waist deep water. You could still use the tank as a third leg/crutch if needed, but I found a floating bc pretty easy to maneuver and I could concentrate on watching where I was putting my feet. If I took a spill on my way to waist deep water, at least I did not have a tank or weights on me to complicate things and increase my chances of injury. If you are take a fall wearing a weight belt and your tank is not donned with regulator in your mouth, you might have another big problem on your hands. We donned the gear in waist deep water and off we went. Did the reverse on the return trip. Be careful about getting in too shallow water before taking off bc/tank/fins and floating the bc. A couple of times we got too shallow only to find every hole in the ironstone, and every little crack had a nice sea urchin nestled inside, making it difficult to find a place to put hand or knee to help yourself up. Bonaire is a wonderful place to dive, with shore diving being a big draw, but you might consider signing up for more boat dives (yes, more expensive, but more forgiving on senior ankles and legs). Also, if staying at a place like the Habitat, Buddy Dive, Sand Dollar, and some others, they have a nice dock from which to enter/exit which sure reduces the workload and risk. I am sure others will give you different advice, but also consider the age of the posters. If you are with a group of young divers on a shore dive, just let them know that you are not going to risk breaking a leg just so you can try to be macho and keep up with them. If necessary, wave goodbye, take your time, and enjoy the dive.

What JohnN said. Compare entry points on both islands here: Scuba Shore Diving Region: ABC Islands
It's like the reef starts 50 yds. farther offshore on Curacao so all the ironshore is 20' deep by the time you get to it. Just about every single one has a dive operator on-site to rent tanks from so you don't have to haul them in and out of the truck. All will watch your vehicle if asked - a couple even asked us. Cuts down on the petty theft. Most have food options also. And restrooms. Curacao is probably an easier flight also. www.curacao.com lists all of it.

You can buy a fin keeper so you won't have to manage fins as well as tank while wading thru the surf line. Cetacea Fin Keeper Clips

After I shredded my leg at Angel City we mostly shore dove the resorts the rest of the week. Habitat is the only one that charges ($5) but you should check-in at the other shops. Also to dive Bari off BD&A's dock they'll want you to be a customer so buy something in the shop - or rent tanks from them. Most of the other places didn't seem to mind if we used their dock.

Some sites are better than others for entry. Windsock is one of them. We also got in pretty easily just north of the Salt Pier. About 1/2 wsay between where you park and the first set of structures.

We also look for the sand channels that often lead from the beach into deeper water. There's one at Vista Blue but that can be an advanced dive if the current is running. These guys are standing on it.

c004508.jpg

Planning, preparation, and technique. In May, I ran into a couple of divers in their 80's who were doing Tolo. They did have a much younger couple (in their 60's) helping with gear. They carried the gear down to their entry point, set it up, then dragged it into the water before doffing. It is a bit slow but works fine.

Spend some time finding the right entry point. If unsure whether to gear up before or after entry, try it out first without gear. After the entry, look back so you have a good bearing to find that route again for the exit.

consider dock diving?
all of the major resorts have well maintained docks and ladders. this will likely cost a bit more as they will want a fee, but it may be worth it?

Definitely hard-soled boots and dock dives. And as others have said, some sites are easier than others. One I would add to the list is the Cliff at Dive friends Hamlet.

I really don't think the tank walker idea will work. The sites that are the most difficult to enter naturally have the more uneven footing. I can too easily see the tank landing on the edge of a rock or ledge and down you go. Though I do vaguely recall a post in a Bonaire thread where the couple was actually using walking sticks! Can't recall anything more specific about that post.

My dive buddy and I (67 & 72 yrs) are returning to Bonaire early next year after doing shore diving there in 2013. We had quite a bit of difficulty entering/exiting last trip. We helped each other as best we could but carrying fins and/or camera didn't free up more than one hand to help.

Someone suggested our flexible soled boot were a detriment and hard soled boots would help.

I'm thinking of wearing a weight belt rather than use my integrated BCD pockets. Then I will use the tank w/BCD like a walker giving me three points ( each foot and the tank) touching the earth as I enter the water. Upon reaching knee high or higher water I'd put the tank/fins on. The weight of the tank and BCD would be off my back while entering but I'd still have to hold on to my fins. Does this sound reasonable? Does anyone have a better or different solution(other than going by boat)?

I have a couple of suggestions you might want to consider.

1) Do weight checks on the very first dive so you are both properly weighted - this helps in minimising the weight of the belt you are carrying.

2) Buy a stainless steel double ender like the item below.

Example

DIR Zone Double Ended Stainless Steel Boltsnap
(The brand is not important I'm just providing a visual example to "illustrate" a point :)

You can attach one end to your BC and the other end to your fin straps.
This leaves you with both hands free.
If you feel a little unbalanced using 1 boltsnap for 2 fins - buy a second boltsnap so you have 1 boltsnap per fin.

The boltsnap(s) can be used for any number of attachments so is always useful to have.

2) Your fins - consider buying spring straps for your fins

Example

XS Scuba Universal Spring Straps

This will make it easier to put on your fins in the water.

3) Attach fins to a Dring on your BC and carry your BC on your back down to the beach. Both hands are free at this point and you should find it easier to walk down to the entry point from you car. Each of you should assist the other in lifting the tank on to your backs - do it one tank at a time. What you end up with is a tank being supported on your back with both hands free - balance should be a lot easier.

Enter the water together, diver A approaches diver B and releases diver Bs fins from the boltsnap (leaving the boltsnap still attached to the BC). Diver B puts on fins in the water or requests assistance from diver A.

The roles are then reversed.

Hope this makes sense?

And one more thought -

Don't be shy in asking for help from other divers :)

I don't do struggle - If I can't manage, I ask for help - most divers will be very willing to help as we all know what a pain in the arse it is to have to carry stuff.

It's amazing what can be achieved if divers actually help each other
icon_redface.gif

And as others have suggested, have a chat with divers about the easiest entry points maybe a site such as 1000Steps might not be a good idea without external assistance !!

Last edited:
Thinking a little out of the box here but how about going side mount in some fashion? That will reduce the amount of weight each indivigual has to carry in the surf. You may need to get creative with some kind of tank handles/floatation but still it may work.

Diver 1 (weakest) could enter the water with just the BC and what ever other gear they can manage and diver 2 with a tank/reg. Strongest diver exits and returns with second tank, weaker diver holds tank while stronger diver goes after weights and remaining gear. Reverse on exit. I know it's more entries/exits for one diver but at least the weight is reduced and it's easier to balance the lighter load.

Also, consider using 63s to reduce the weight some. It will cut your bottom time a little but staying shallower can help offset that.

A trick I learned on Bonaire (after flubbing around on severtal shore entries). Watch the waves and count. Usually there will be a pattern of increasing wave height with several much smaller waves following the largest. Once you figure out the pattern you wait for the largest and then enter as it's receeding. Quickly go out far enough to float (chest high) and put your fins on. I'm 67 and this worked for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom