Where to spend 50th birthday?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I turn 44 on the 23rd. We just got back from Costa Rica.

I spent my 40th in the Galapagos. That trip was full of snafus both in and out of my control, but it was a memorable trip and a good one. I was on the Aggressor II.

I'll spend my 45th in Thailand on the Thailand Aggressor next year. ( I like liveaboards) It's also my wife's 40th b-day. Her b-day is 8 days before mine.

I have over 500 dives in varying conditions. I'm fine with cold water, she isn't. I am leaning towards Red Sea. My ultimate goal is to dive 6 of the 7 continents. Once I get there, I may have to find a way to dive Antarctica.

Are there any good Mediterranean Liveaboards? Suggestions? We plan far in advance so we can save up the funds to do the trip.

Why wait for Antarctica? Do it now!

The water is way too cold for wimps like me. But topside is awesome. So even if your wife does not dive, the trip will be very interesting. Anyone who likes outdoors & nature will love Antarctica. Make sure you go on a small vessel so that you can actually land.

DSCN7214.jpg

Or... Fiji is very nice- we went there for my 50th birthday, to Beqa . Warm, clear, great boats, wonderful people. As far as a Mediterranean liveaboards, there is one or more operating out of Sardinia, and also Greece. Another option is Italy with Italiana Croceiere. Linblad Expeditions runs a liveaboard in the Mediterranean as well. There are others. Google "Mediterranean Scuba Liveaboards" for comparison shopping and more options.
DivemasterDennis

I'm looking at Italy possibly next summer- I'm hoping to get a few days in Portifino as there is a protected area there. From what I've heard from some European divers the Med is badly over fished so there's not a lot of critters to see. Apparently the Greek isles has a lot of wrecks and caves so that might be worth a look as well.

So I guess Clear Springs is out... :D

Stef and I just returned from Sipadan. There were some nice dives but not a week's worth. I also looked at some of the islands north of Phuket but we ended up staying in Malaysia.

What about Belize? There is an Aggressor boat there so you could live the life of a high-roller like she is accustomed. And it's pretty close to the blast furnace that is north Texas.

From the the above suggestions, I like the Truk Lagoon one best. It's quite a haul to get there I hear, and the dives can be deep. Not sure if your sweetheart would be interested in diving doubles and monkeying around with tables and decompression diving on vacation, though.

Of all the places I've been, if I had to pick one place for a memorable dive vacation I think it would be Raja Ampat, in eastern Indonesia. One of the few truly pristine places I've ever been ... far off the beaten track. With the exception of our visit to a popular site for mantas, we spent the whole week seeing nobody but those who were on our boat.

We stayed at a resort called Raja4Divers, that has a lovely house reef ... and easy boat access to some incredible diving. It's a fantastic resort, on its own island ... and we had a first-class vacation with them. But most folks do prefer the liveaboard experience, to see a wider spectrum of what Raja Ampat has to offer. Can't say enough good things about the place ... both the resort and the region in general. It's my new favorite place to go in Indonesia.

FWIW - we went there to celebrate a friend's 70th birthday.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom