Have we experienced more dive fatalities in 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divescape

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Thank you to all on the board that make this such a great continuing education platform. Many threads that are posted cause me to think about how I dive and skipper my RIB. I think I am a better diver for having been part of Scubaboard. What has recently alarmed me is the number of scuba deaths that have been reported in the Accident and Incidents forum. I have seen the stats posted in 2013 from DAN reports on diving fatalities, but what I want to know, is are they higher this year or is it just my heightened awareness, or broader reporting of worldwide incidents on the board.

It's hard to say. I don't think anyone collects worldwide stats, so it's not really possible to get the numbers. There is generally a lot of variance year on year, since the number of fatalities is always low (considering the number of dives done). Broader reporting (and more users picking up stories and posting on these forums) is also a strong possibility.

Would be interesting to see the information if available. My gut feel is that the numbers are higher than before (specific to my location). The more alarming, but perceived fact IMO seems to indicate a higher fatality rate of very experienced divers compared to previous years.

Would be interesting to see the information if available. My gut feel is that the numbers are higher than before (specific to my location). The more alarming, but perceived fact IMO seems to indicate a higher fatality rate of very experienced divers compared to previous years.

It definitely feels like we've had a bad year here in South Africa. But we have, what, around an average of 4 deaths here each year? So even two more than 'usual' would be a 50% increase.

"Over one hundred Americans lost their lives in diving accidents this year and God knows how many thousands suffered 'close calls.' The spiraling statistics are tragic enough, but even sadder is the fact that most of these unfortunate souls perished for foolish reasons."
Paul Tzimoulis Editor of Skin Diver Magazine. Jan 1971

Some things never change.

It's all relative. In the last 30 something years, we've probably added a million and a half divers to the world and the annual fatalities still average just over a hundred a year.

"Over one hundred Americans lost their lives in diving accidents this year and God knows how many thousands suffered 'close calls.' The spiraling statistics are tragic enough, but even sadder is the fact that most of these unfortunate souls perished for foolish reasons."
Paul Tzimoulis Editor of Skin Diver Magazine. Jan 1971

Some things never change.

It's all relative. In the last 30 something years, we've probably added a million and a half divers to the world and the annual fatalities still average just over a hundred a year.

Thanks that certainly adds some perspective.

What would be interesting to know but not likely possible to ever be able to find out is how many diving "accidents/fatalities" are due to diver error/mistake vs having something like a heart attack while diving.

What would be interesting to know but not likely possible to ever be able to find out is how many diving "accidents/fatalities" are due to diver error/mistake vs having something like a heart attack while diving.
It's my humble opinion that this approaches %100 towards diver error especially if you include health issues. No single gear failure should cause a fatality... ever.

My own instructor who was an experienced diver and a very nice guy just died in a diving accident last month. :depressed:

That is what I am not liking. Whenever i log in to the forum i am seeing new posts in Accidents and incedents that are all fatalities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom