Question from new divers about diving in Cozumel and Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

69rrvert

Registered
Reaction score
Next month, we will going on a cruise out of Galveston, Texas. Our first stop will be Cozumel and then Grand Cayman. My son was certified last year and will turn 13 on our trip. He has 21 dives so far but has never been diving off of a boat or in salt water. We have been diving at Mammoth Lake averaging around 25'. I was certified in '89 but never pursued it due to not having a buddy. I took a refresher as he was certified so I pretty much have the same amount of dives as him. We want to dive on these two stops, but we are not sure what to expect and if he will have any issues with the currents. He is a competitive swimmer and is in good shape. I was looking at the shore dive that Don Foster's in Grand Cayman offers but am not sure about Cozumel. Before going on the cruise, we will have finished our advanced certification. Any information would be a huge help. Thanks, Steven

Any dive-op (worldwide) that serves the general off-the-boat cruise ship diver is going to give you a fairly gentle dive experience.

If you have dealt with cold, fresh water lakes as you have, this should be a snap. You are going to have to muddle through your initial steps of adjusting your weighting for salt water and the very likely over-dressing... use of "too much wetsuit" will be likely.

Dive ops that handle cruise ship divers are well used to this. There is time set aside at the beginning of dive #1 for you to adjust your weights, some do this at the boat dock before departure. With AOW under your belt, this should be a two minute process, don't overthink it and always take the DMs advice. They have seen this 10,000 times.

In Cayman, at this state in your dive progression, it would be better to do the boat dive, you might actually see something of interest- very little going on that close to shore for most of the more well-known shoredive entries. With their gentle local waters, it would indeed be a good place to learn basic shore-dive techniques, but your AOW likely already taught you more than you'll need to know to "wade into the Cayman pool" from the shore. Go experience some well fitted-out Caribbean dive boats, see how they work. Cayman dive ops (in the Fosters type of volume model) are notoriously conservative, even for those divers spending an entire week, some would judge them as intrusively protective. In that light, understand that there is no need for you to express any concern of limitations to them, everyone showing up gets treated the same, Basic Cert to Course Director. They have their national rules, and that will be that.

In Cozumel, they are no stranger to Cruise Ship Divers. Explain your concerns (once) to the lead-man at the dive op, then when you are assigned a DM, re-check that with him as well. (It is useless to have such discussions with the on-ship booking agent, this person likely has never had their head underwater) Then pay attention to what the DM is telling you in the dive briefing. Don't fiddle with your gear, pay attention. Cozumel has the opposite reputation from Cayman in terms of dive-op policies, especially in terms of week-long visitors. They will still hover-mother day divers from Cruise Ships, but as for weeklong divers, you can do some pretty silly things without the DMs getting involved or saying anything. That is the subtle but very real difference, but absolutely nothing that should affect you.

I (unlike your son) am now a crappy swimmer as I'm physically an orthopedic train-wreck. Currents are a delight. Strength and physical ability is not applicable to currents, likely your AOW will teach that. Paying attention to the DM will be again very important, although they will not take you to much of a current (if any).

Have fun, use what you have learned. Caution, not fear.

Leave the u/w camera at home... for now.

My first dives in the ocean were in Cozumel. The current is not generally a problem. The water is warm and the stuff to look at will astound you. Pay attention to the DM, be careful and have fun.

The dives they take you on will be cake walks, don't sweat it. Drift diving has NOTHING to do with swimming in current if you are doing it right. Just go above the reef and let the current push you until it's time to go up. Watch the DM to stay with him, and watch ahead of you because the coral can rise rapidly and the current WILL smack you into it if you arent prepared. GC is just easy dive with almost no current

Scuba Club Cozumel is an all-inclusive dive resort right on the water near downtown San Miguel on Isla Cozumel.

You can do some shore diving right from the resort to get your weight and dive mojo in sync before you get on the boats for some great diving.

The key to diving in strong current to "go with the flow." Don't fight the current at all, use it to your advantage. Drift diving is so-o-o-o-o-o much easier than regular diving because all you have to do is float and breathe.

Little Cayman has better diving than the Grand.

Last edited:
Your experience for GCM should be fine. As always when in doubt or have questions ask the dive op, dm. My preference in general would be to steer away from the dive op a cruise ship uses. In GCM see if you can arrange a dive with a smaller op such as Off the Wall or Wall to Wall divers. They take a small group out and will give you a better experience. I dove with Off the Wall earlier this year and would recommend. I have heard positive things about Wall to Wall. Based upon where you will be and what you described, either op would be a good choice.

Just a short walk from where the cruise ship will drop you off in Georgetown is Eden Rock. The shore diving from there is very convenient and accessible, and is decent. It may be a good option depending on the sea conditions when you're in Grand Cayman.

Boat diving in Cozumel is pretty simple. They dive on the leeward side of the island and a rough day at sea is still calm by most standards. Your cruise ship can probably arrange a boat dive for you, and Scuba Club Cozumel is another good option.

We did a cruise on Carnival last December. Our cruise stopped in Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, and Grand Cayman. We only dove in Roatan and Grand Cayman. Both dive op's told us that the cruise lines had their own set of rules for their excursions that were more conservative than what they normally do. However, we still went to 70-80 feet and I didn't feel cramped by them at all considering we were diving on vacation and had never dove either of these locations before. Even in December the water temp was 82 degrees and I didn't need or wear a wet-suit. Keep in mind that the cruise ships are on a tight schedule, and unless I had been to these locations before, I would not want to have to run around and try to plan my own diving and worry about being back before the ship leaves. With that said, it would be very doable, and enjoyable, to do the shore dives from Don Foster's. They were the op that we went on through Carnival and we did our second dive within swimming distance of their shop. It was a very nice dive with lots of coral and swim throughs. Don Foster's had great people and did a great job with both safety and showing everyone a good time. I would have no reservations recommending them.

What you need to keep in mind, is that both of the locations you are considering have wall dives. If you are used to diving in 25 feet of water, this can be a little intimidating at first, especially if combined with currents. I was a little intimidated by it even though I had over 130 dives. However, all of my previous dives were over a hard bottom. It turned out not to be a problem, except for my 24 year old son kept drifting deeper and deeper, and I had to swim down to 99 feet and tell him to pay more attention. Normally it wouldn't have been a problem, but we were a 3 diver buddy team and I was trying to stay closer to the least experienced diver. Good luck, don't miss the opportunity, you'll have a great time!

Mike

GC should be a piece of cake--CZM, ??maybe a little 'trouble' due to current & drift dives(entering/exiting with a group etc etc)......Hopefully by taking the AOW cert, it will help both ya'll feeling (more)comfortable in the water.....But----really,----do one here can accurately answer these questions, your instructor is the one you need to be talking to--IMO.........good luck, report back & tell us how everything goes/went........

Let me echo kensuf as to diving EDEN Rock on Grand Cayman. You can and should schedule that. Also on Grand Cayman is a fun and very shallow dive, and a good snorkel, Sting Ray Bay. But Eden Rock was made for you and your son. As to Cozumel, they do wall dives and shallower dives. Let the operator know your and your son's level of experience and in your case, the "lay off period." Not all dive operators there operate at the same level of safety and reasonableness. That is a fact. Whatever dives you do, stay in the DM's pocket, and you will be fine. People who wander off, do not monitor their gauges, and deviate from the dive plan get ion trouble. Divers who monitor they gauges, stay with the dive leader, and follow the dive plan should have no problems.
Next time, consider a dedicated "dive trip" to get some experience for the both of you. After you check out Grand Cayman you will find that is a great choice for new divers. So is Key Largo, Bonaire, Maui, and Roatan, among other places.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom