SPG Max PSI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bc214

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey guys,

I have a Tusa SPG/Depth/Compass gauge set. The pressure gauge says max 3000psi, but it is marked to 4000psi. When I get an AL80 it is usually full to about 3200, especially if it is in the sun for a bit when I mount the regulator. If I use a steel, it is up around 3400.

Am I being reckless here with this gauge? Why does is have 3000psi max printed on the gauge and a marker to 4000?

Should I be ordering a new gauge this week?

-BC

IMG_1140.jpg

Gauges are most accurate in the center of the sweep, and least accurate at the ends of the sweep. A 4000 or 5000 psi gauge is perfect for scuba. I have no clue why your gauge is marked "3000 psi max."

Gauges are most accurate in the center of the sweep, and least accurate at the ends of the sweep. A 4000 or 5000 psi gauge is perfect for scuba. I have no clue why your gauge is marked "3000 psi max."

Thanks. It seems to work fine, and it's been up to 3,500 without issue. I'm not 100% sure either.

I got one that goes to 5,000

Hope that's p.s.i. and not in "bar".

As Master Chief Scroggins always said, "Fill 'em till you're scared"

Must now go check the speedometer on my NSX.

It was time to change the water on that thing, anyway.

recreational reg setup, likely a reminded on the tanks for 3000psi max. If the gauge has the numbers on there it is rated to use them. If it pegs out you are overstretching the spring which will fry a gauge, but running it within that 4000 band isn't going to hurt it. Most tech divers use 5,000psi gauges because of the really high fill pressures in florida. 3,800 isn't uncommon down there and that is pushing it for the 4k gauges.

The smaller the range the more accurate the gauge. I run old 3000 SPG's on my 3000 psi tanks. I don't care about pressure until I get below 1000 psi, then I want it as accurate as possible and a 3000 psi gauge provides it.

I've got a gauge just like that on one of my spare regs. It came with my original TUSA regulator that I purchased in 2001 ... and the SPG is the only part of the reg I still own. Still works fine ... and I've used it on hundreds of HP tanks (3500 psi) over the years.

No need to purchase another SPG unless really want to ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

recreational reg setup, likely a reminded on the tanks for 3000psi max. If the gauge has the numbers on there it is rated to use them. If it pegs out you are overstretching the spring which will fry a gauge, but running it within that 4000 band isn't going to hurt it. Most tech divers use 5,000psi gauges because of the really high fill pressures in florida. 3,800 isn't uncommon down there and that is pushing it for the 4k gauges.

Thanks man. That sounds like a pretty reasonable idea. I did a little online research and the only thing I could find was something along the lines of the "max recreational reg setup" idea.

-BC

---------- Post added July 23rd, 2014 at 05:53 PM ----------

I've got a gauge just like that on one of my spare regs. It came with my original TUSA regulator that I purchased in 2001 ... and the SPG is the only part of the reg I still own. Still works fine ... and I've used it on hundreds of HP tanks (3500 psi) over the years.

No need to purchase another SPG unless really want to ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks Bob, that's exactly what I was looking for.

I have an old Scubapro SPG from 1972 that only has a range up to 3500, actually 3600 psi. I decided to retire it rather than use it with HP cylinders that occasionally have fills around the maximum for the guage. I used if all the time when I was diving LP steel and Al cylinders.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom