why are air filters so expensive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wfopig

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just bought a comp. to fill my own tanks and it does not have a filter on it I only payed 150.00 and its going to cost me a lot more than that for a filter does anyone know a cheaper way around that

Not sure if this is a good parallel, but pool filters cost about 1/3 online as opposed to a retail supplier. Possibly worth checking out.

Now that I think about it, sounds sort of like dive gear pricing ....:wink:

Suck it up, cupcake - the least expensive new scuba compressor out there is around $3k. Even if you wind up spending another $1,000 on proper filtration, it's still a hell of a deal for $150; assuming it's in serviceable condition and is in fact a breathing air compressor. =)

I personally have 15" and a 35" filter towers on a 4CFM compressor, which is a 'better than average' filtration setup. Some have more, a lot have less. The filtration and plumbing ran somewhere around $2k, but I feel it was well worth it. Read any number of articles about the dangers of inadequate filtration and poor fill station design and you'll quickly realize this is NOT an area in which you want to skimp.

My suggestion is to give Ray Contreras or Jim Shelden a call, let them know what you have and they'll help you come up with a filtration system that matches your needs. You're looking at between $400 and $1200, but without a lot more information about the make/model of compressor, your operating environment, and the quality of gas you're after, none of us can make any specific recommendations.

The actual filter cartridges aren't that expensive and run $40-75 or so, depending on the size and media type. If that's what you're concerned about... it's a pretty minimal cost to begin with, but repacking filters may be an option that can help you squeeze maybe another penny or so out of the per CF fill cost. Unless you're a high volume user who blows through filters, it may not be worth the effort.

-B

5327_864024696959685_7918343332113707735_n.jpg

---------- Post added July 28th, 2014 at 01:06 AM ----------

I am new to diving and I went to buy the blue tank and ended up getting all of this but the yellow tank is not going to be a user

buy the Oxyhackers Companion, read it. I also HIGHLY recommend you find someone on one of the technical boards that is local to help you figure that whole thing out. Not sure if the compressor was being used currently, but there is a whole can of worms trying to deal with your own compressor. I'm not trying to discourage you, I have one and wouldn't trade it for the world, but you have to be awfully careful with them. I still have a buddy at a local VFD that I get my tanks filled at regularly to avoid fiddling with my Rix

I am new to diving and I went to buy the blue tank and ended up getting all of this but the yellow tank is not going to be a user

I can tell, its a very poor picture but from what I can see are you sure you didn't just buy yourself a cheap $150 low pressure air compressor, fit only for spray painting and filling car tyres maximum pressure say 200 psi. For filling scuba you need around a three stage pump for 3000 psi. Now with a better picture of that pump we could see more, I cant see any more than one vertical stage in your photo but it may be its a Chinese low pressure block fitted with 3 HP pistons added in a W formation its you just cant tell from that photo.

I just bought a comp. to fill my own tanks and it does not have a filter on it I only payed 150.00 and its going to cost me a lot more than that for a filter does anyone know a cheaper way around that

wfopig,

Do you need to purchase a pre-packaged filter? Can you pack your own using bulk ingredients? Wouldn't this be cheaper?

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Looks like a yoke fill whip on the floor and I see three stages. Now what I would love to do is convince him to trade the electric motor for a gas one so I can snag it for my rix since it isn't being towed around anymore :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom