weird 2nd stage noise below 80 feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blanik

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, sorry if this is a newbie question but today i was doing my first deep dive to 100' and when i got below 80' my 2nd stage started squealing heavily during inspiration, i could also feel it vibrate. it felt like when you open a water tap with air in the pipes or something similar, it was a bit disturbing, an unwelcome additional stress when i didn't need it...

i have a Mares Abyss 22, serviced 6 months ago, on a 3/4 full tank, water temp was 6C at that depth

was this dangerous? what causes this and can it be fixed?

Though nothing is guaranteed, this is usually just an annoyance. A great kinda scary annoyance, but just an annoyance. Though some honking is hard to recreate in the shop, your shop probably knows best about the gear it is using about how to solve it. Some honking feels like the second stage, but is the first, and some, vice versa.

(And some, annoyingly enough, spontaneously resolve themselves. I always switch to the other second stage to try and nail down where the problem is, but that's a lot of task loading in the wrong situation.)

The guys here who focus mainly on gear usually use a different section forum:
The Equipment of Scuba Diving
Even if you are not doing DIY, the guys in the DIY section there are always a great source of info, though the general regulator section will get the experts listening.

I had a similar problem with my reg, except it honked mostly when I was on the surface. I took it in to the shop and they flipped the spring in the first stage and it hasn't happened since. It also could have just been that it need more silicone.

Either way, if it bothers you, bring it into your LDS for service.

oh the croaking.
Not dangerous, highly irritating. Can be a number of things but most likely the lever is set too low from the inhalation diaphragm causing the chatter and relatively high cracking pressure.

thanks for the answers, i'd still prefer having it fixed though, it's quite annoying at those depth (even worse for a padawan like me)

you can learn to fix it yourself, or you can take it back and have them fix it if they will honor it 6 months after service

Hi, sorry if this is a newbie question but today i was doing my first deep dive to 100' and when i got below 80' my 2nd stage started squealing heavily during inspiration, i could also feel it vibrate. it felt like when you open a water tap with air in the pipes or something similar, it was a bit disturbing, an unwelcome additional stress when i didn't need it...

i have a Mares Abyss 22, serviced 6 months ago, on a 3/4 full tank, water temp was 6C at that depth

was this dangerous? what causes this and can it be fixed?

Bring it back and tell them to fix it at no charge. They apparently didn't do a really good job last time.

I'm guessing you don't have a lot of dives on it, so it's likely they didn't service/test/adjust it correctly, not that you wore it out.

It's not dangerous, but when you get something serviced you expect it to be better than when you brought it in, not worse.

flots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom