Shopping for a Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmingsheep

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all, I have been a lurker for a few months and finally decided I needed an account. I just finished my advanced open water certification with PADI and have 11 cold water dives logged. I dive in the Pacific Northwest and so far I've done all shore entry, but hope to someday change it up. I want something durable with lots of stretch, for less than $1500 for the suit and the undergarment.

I know virtually nothing about drysuits, so I don't know what features will be ideal or not-so-ideal when it comes to the different brands, styles and features.

Can any of you offer advice for a first suit?

First, you don't want "stretch"; this isn't a wetsuit. I would start by talking with other local DS divers. While a trilam works great for me in my location, it may or may not be best for your area.

Drysuit is only part of the equation. What about the feet and the hands? front zip or back? How much thermal underwear will you need? want a p-valve?

Drysuits are expensive and so are good thermals. $1500 for BOTH is going to be very difficult IMHO.

USIA Techniflex is the only one that can come close, but you'll still be in the $1800 range for drysuit, P-valve *crucial*, and thermals. Thermals can be had generically from LL Bean, REI, etc Polartec is Polartec no matter what brand is on the label.

Actually it's not as difficult as you might think, given the right body type. A White's Fusion One goes for around $1000 and the Thermal Fusion undergarment is around $450. That's a great combo for Pacific Northwest diving ... again, if you've got the right body for it.

Not a great choice of drysuit for us fat folks ... but for "off the rack" bodies, it's one good option in that price range.

There are a few White's dealers in the Puget Sound area who will be happy to work with you. And there are other options out there that might be a better choice in the same price range.

One piece of advice ... don't settle for a suit that doesn't fit you right. Good fit's the most important consideration when purchasing a drysuit.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added July 28th, 2014 at 07:57 PM ----------

USIA Techniflex is the only one that can come close, but you'll still be in the $1800 range for drysuit, P-valve *crucial*, and thermals. Thermals can be had generically from LL Bean, REI, etc Polartec is Polartec no matter what brand is on the label.
Polartec is sufficient insulation for the warmer months here in the PNW ... which is where the OP lives. Water temps right now (mid summer) are running between 48-53 degrees F, depending on where you're diving ... and it's only going to get another degree or two warmer. Water temps in winter run about low to mid 40's. I use 300G polartec in summer with a 2mm compressed neo drysuit, and I'm good for 80+ minutes before I start running low on thermal units. But then, I have polar bear genes. Come October I'll put my "summer clothes" in the closet and break out the heavier undies (Thermal Fusion or Weezle Extreme). Some folks wear the heavy stuff year round.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Another option in that price range is the ScubaPro Everflex neoprene dry suit. It retails for under a thousand WITH the undergarment. Now, neoprene suits have a few downsides -- they are heavier, dry more slowly, and aren't real useful in warmer water if you travel. The Everflex also has neoprene neck and wrist seals, which means no dry gloves. But we've had several students buy those suits, and if you fit into a stock size, they are a great bargain.

The Fusion is a step up, but a little more expensive. It's light, and with the Sport skin, dries very quickly. It can be used in warm or cold water. Fit is easy, because the way the suit is designed, a wide range of sizes will work. You can get it with user-replaceable seals, which is awfully nice if you are going to travel at all, or if you dive frequently. You can use SiTech dry glove rings with it. And the Thermal Fusion is a nice undergarment, although I believe the MK3 is a little cheaper (it's also harder to get into the suit).

Another option in that price range is the ScubaPro Everflex neoprene dry suit. It retails for under a thousand WITH the undergarment. Now, neoprene suits have a few downsides -- they are heavier, dry more slowly, and aren't real useful in warmer water if you travel. The Everflex also has neoprene neck and wrist seals, which means no dry gloves. But we've had several students buy those suits, and if you fit into a stock size, they are a great bargain.

I think that should read the Scubapro Everdry. I have that suit and have been using it for a couple of years now. After a couple of winters of ice diving though, I had the wrist seals replaced with the SiTech dry glove system this year. Still love the drysuit. Love it even more with the dry gloves!

Oh, you are right! That will teach me to type late at night, when I'm tired!

Back
Top Bottom