The "eyeglasses recovery dive" -- you always learn something..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nolatom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, this was not a dive that I (a weekend-type rec. diver) planned to make, but genius me managed to lose his prescription glasses overboard at the end of a sail, in the marina slip. So I knew where they were. A few dips in my shorts with swim goggles yielded nothing except swirls of mud, and me out of breath after feeling around for about 10 seconds.

So the next day I went out with scuba gear. Sort of, since what I had handy was a 30 cf pony at home. I put it on my jacket BC and tried to figure out the weighting with no wetsuit but need to stay on the bottom for the search, so what would be "slightly overweighted". A friend tipped me off about dropping a weighted line in where I thought the glasses would be, as a reference point. My wife came along as my (nondiving) dive-tender, with a folding chair and umbrella against the midday sun.

Vis was about 2 feet on the surface and zero at depth. Once I started pawing the fluffy silt, it was "less than zero". Though only 8 feet down, it felt like more, and the weighted line was crucial in keeping me oriented, it was amazingly easy to get off-line and out of position without knowing which way to go to correct it. I could not read my compass, even up next to my mask. Flashlight was absolutely useless. Finally, after two or three brief surfacing/reorienting breaks, and repositioning the line a little farther forward, success!! There they were, just as I was losing hope.

Total "run time", ha ha, was 16 minutes, max depth 8 feet.

What I learned:

I suck at freediving.

Ponies work as primary tank but (duh) psi goes down faster (3300 in, 1600 out).

That weighted line as a reference point is vital.

Be a little heavy to work on the bottom--7 pounds was perfect, neutral would've been about 4 I guess.

Zero vis is zero vis. You will get lost even when you are where you're supposed to be. You (meaning me) have to surface to read gauges. The water is light brown, brown, or black depending on whether you're under a boat or pier, even at midday.

There's lots of nondescript junk in a marina, don't snag on it. Use it as a datum point if convenient.

I have a lot of respect for those who dive muck, and for commercial divers who have to work around all this mucky silt and various obstructions. I do not plan to do it as a recreational dive though. Nor do i want to clean boat bottoms in-water for profit.

Put one of those keeper strings on your expensive glasses, you dummy.

And this "scuba diving" is still cool, even in crappy conditions. This dive way more than paid for itself.

So can I log a 16-minute, 8-foot dive?? Ha ha.

Good story.

I've done more than a few "mister, can you find my keys?" searches at marinas.

Sometimes you leave your fins in the bag and just crawl through grass feeling in the mud . . .

Here's some info on circular search techniques: Underwater searches - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One thing you should always check for when diving in a marina is electrical current.
Welcome to the world of underwater recovery [emoji4]

I had to grab my fins and snorkel after jumping off those bouncy iceberg thingys with my sunglasses on-duh! I did find them eventually but I suck at breath holding.

I did the same thing for a guy who dropped his glasses in the marina. I dropped the weighted line and searched, finally finding them 25 feet from where he dropped them. Total dive time was only five minutes. He insisted that I take $60 for the effort. That's $720 per hour! I'm in the wrong line of work.

When the search for the missing Air Malaysia flight was in constant "Breaking News" mode on CNN, I was always amazed at the amount of ignorance (as in lack of knowledge) about how complex an underwater search can be. Your lost glasses are a perfect example of knowing "exactly where (something) is.." and yet, it's still tough to find it. A friend once dropped an entire set of gear (twin steel 100s, deflated wing, regs etc) off the side of my boat in 70' of black water in Lake Muskoka and it still took me 40 minutes to find it... even though it disappeared from right in front of my face, and we dropped a shot line immediately!

Trying to find an airplane, which is undoubtedly reduced to a zillion little fragments, in thousands of feet of water, in some "best guess" location, in a largely uncharted ocean... gonna be tough.

Congrats on your success!

In Chicago Yacht Harborages, we have found sunglasses and also located another free diver who had entered the water at an earlier date and apparently was overweighted with concrete.

Now, make sure you log that dive.

...located another free diver who had entered the water at an earlier date and apparently was overweighted with concrete.

Was he suffering from decomposition sickness?

Is it hard to find fins that fit over concrete booties??

Back
Top Bottom