Stand alone depth gauge and compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bc214

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Forgive me if this duplicates. I tried to add it to another thread but it wouldn't let me update it for some reason. My previous issue was with a flooded depth gauge and finding a suitable replacement for my boot. I've pasted my question below relating to going with a stand alone SPG instead of the group console:

------------
Thanks for the answers so far. I found two gauges that would fit it my boot well, but before I pull the trigger I have some issues. After doing a few dives, mostly in quarry after rain storms (super low viz for a quarry), I have found that my current gear setup is not exactly "for me." Let me try to explain.

The SPG/Depth/Compass. PHeew. Hate it. I know that's where they go, but here is my issue. I'm familiar with land nav with a compass. I have been reading maps, taking headings, and triangulating on land for years. I get in the water, pick a heading, and off I go. Except this damn compass is in the most awkward place. I have to pull up this mammoth console then flip it over just to get a reading. It seems to be difficult hauling it out and keeping it in front of me in merky water, especially if I need to control my power inflator/deflator with my left hand. I considered a wrist mount, but even that seems so awkwardly placed when it comes to reading the heading window. That being said, I ordered a compass on a retractor for my shoulder D ring. I can track it out in my right hand, and while holding it still have visibility of my dive computer that I wear on my right wrist (bottom).

Anyway, Compass on right shoulder d ring, check. Dive computer on right wrist, check. But I'm still hung up here. I like the redundancy of having an analog gauge, and I always wear a traditional watch on my left wrist. I'm not a fan of the big SPG combo boot, and I love the simple SPG only clipped into a D ring. I can easily cut away the top half of my boot and have just a SPG, or pick up a stand along SPG boot for my SPG. So getting that smaller an more manageable is easy. Doing this, I would lose my console compass, but this is not an issue as I ordered the new shoulder mounted retractor compass. Having streamlined a bit in this hypothetical, the only thing that I am missing is a max depth analog gauge as my backup.

Can I just throw a gauge in my pocket, or is there a boot that can clip somewhere to hold just a depth gauge that is not hanging on the end of my HP hose? I was thinking either just a depth gauge in a zipper pocket that I could reference in the event of a computer failure and subsequent ascent, or perhaps a wrist booted depth gauge that I could just clip onto something somewhere in my gear. It wouldn't be for reading on the fly, that's what my computer would be for, but rather it would only a backup in the event of a computer flood.

Maybe I am over thinking this, who knows. But I'd like to hear your thoughts on cleaning up my kit to avoid the massive gauge console, and carrying a depth gauge in a less traditional place.

Thanks a lot.

-BC

Nothing wrong with carrying a spare depth gauge anywhere you like as long as it isn't interfering with anything else. It's serious overkill unless you are doing deco dives, and then you would be using a backup computer in gauge mode.

As for the other items, it is most often suggested that your computer goes on your right wrist and WRIST MOUNT compass goes on your left. This isn't the same as land based landnav. Easiest and most reliable way when diving low-vis is to extend your right arm straight out, and hold the right elbo with your left hand. This puts your compass directly in your line of sight, in a stable position.

There is also no need to mess with cutting the old console. The SPG will pop out, just bend the console back like trying to break it. The SPG hose easily unscrews from the reg, slide the console cover off then screw the SPG hose back in until hand-tight then give it about 1/32 of turn more. It doesn't need to be cranked down, just snug plus a "tiny bit" more.

What many of us use is a wrist mounted computer on the right wrist so we can view it as we are venting our BC's to watch depth at the same time. On the left wrist we have our compass. Both of these use some type of bungee mount that allows for expansion and contraction of the suit underneath without coming loose. Plus bungee mounts are easy to put on and take off with gloves etc.

There are tons of computer options on the market today. Things I would say are important are wrist mounted, bungee mountable, easy to read so larger than a watch, able to be set to gauge mode, nitrox compatible, and downloadable, (OLED like a Petral would be tops, but not needed). No transmitter needed, but many can have one added. Just keep a regular SPG for gear setup and backup. Here is "one" computer for an idea.
DG03 Dive Computer and Digital Gauge by Hollis Gear - Dive Gear Express

The SK7 compass by Suunto is one of the top ones out there. Deep Sea Supply makes a bungee mount for it. There are other brands on the market too. Reading the compass on a wrist is not hard to do, and you do not need to look thru the window. Usually I set the two marks to North and use that for navigation.
Underwater Navigation Compasses - Dive Gear Express

The SPG is typically mounted to the left hip on a 24" hose. We clip it off to a D-ring that is mounted on the left hip using a bolt snap tied on with line. The line is used because it can be cut vs a zip tie that is very hard to cut easily. No boot needed as the gauge is pretty tough on it's own. To those that don't own a gauge already I would say go for a 2.5" gauge vs the 2" gauge. Easier to read at a quick glance or if your mask fogs.

What many of us use is a wrist mounted computer on the right wrist so we can view it as we are venting our BC's to watch depth at the same time. On the left wrist we have our compass. Both of these use some type of bungee mount that allows for expansion and contraction of the suit underneath without coming loose. Plus bungee mounts are easy to put on and take off with gloves etc.

There are tons of computer options on the market today. Things I would say are important are wrist mounted, bungee mountable, easy to read so larger than a watch, able to be set to gauge mode, nitrox compatible, and downloadable, (OLED like a Petral would be tops, but not needed). No transmitter needed, but many can have one added. Just keep a regular SPG for gear setup and backup. Here is "one" computer for an idea.
DG03 Dive Computer and Digital Gauge by Hollis Gear - Dive Gear Express

The SK7 compass by Suunto is one of the top ones out there. Deep Sea Supply makes a bungee mount for it. There are other brands on the market too. Reading the compass on a wrist is not hard to do, and you do not need to look thru the window. Usually I set the two marks to North and use that for navigation.
Underwater Navigation Compasses - Dive Gear Express

The SPG is typically mounted to the left hip on a 24" hose. We clip it off to a D-ring that is mounted on the left hip using a bolt snap tied on with line. The line is used because it can be cut vs a zip tie that is very hard to cut easily. No boot needed as the gauge is pretty tough on it's own. To those that don't own a gauge already I would say go for a 2.5" gauge vs the 2" gauge. Easier to read at a quick glance or if your mask fogs.

Thanks. This is my current setup. You don't think there would be an issue with just the spg on the hose without a boot? That sure does seen nice and compact, but I'm curious as to the durability.

du2uqyne.jpg

Well that is a very cheap console, and the old saying of you get what you pay for comes to mind. It might work, but I would need to see it out of the console. If it were me, I would replace all of those gauges with higher quality, compass included.

Submersible Pressure Gauges (SPGs) and Instrument Consoles - Dive Gear Express

Thanks. I'll be ordering one of the dive gear express gauges. I'm looking at the 2.5" white gauge.

24"? Really? That seems short to me. I'm going to lay out my gear and mark my current hp hose and see how that feels. I think my current console is on a 36".

Thanks. I'll be ordering one of the dive gear express gauges. I'm looking at the 2.5" white gauge.

24"? Really? That seems short to me. I'm going to lay out my gear and mark my current hp hose and see how that feels. I think my current console is on a 36".

Many experienced divers today use a simple B&G (brass and glass) spg and usually clip it either to the left shoulder D ring or to the left hip D ring. The hose length for a singles rig is 24 inches clipped at the hop and 26 at the shoulder. Either length is fine for either position except for the largest and most rotund divers.

https://www.divegearexpress.com/regulators/spgsonly.shtml

The console on a 36 inch hose dragging a furrow across the reef is so eighties and so not cool. The best B&G gauges, which are rebranded by numerous companies are all made in the same place in Italy.

N

Little tidbit on the wrist compass. You don't have to line up the Red Lubber line perpendicular to you. Just draw an imaginary one in your head.
That way you can keep your arm in front of you and bent at 45 degrees and not have to swim awkwardly.
You can also look over the top instead of in the heading window. Doing this, you're looking at your heading in the 6'oclock position; the one closest to your heading window.

24in HP hose may be too short for a stock BC, so I would setup, layout and measure. It generally is the right length for those with a BP/W, where your Hip D-ring is located above your waist.

Brand is not so much important in regards to the gauge as suggested above. I am not a fan of the red 500psi warning as it just turns black at depth. Plain white is what all of my gauges are. I have the 2" though and wish they were bigger. A couple of my friends have the 2.5" and I like them better.

A medium bolt snap will work perfect for keeping it in place on that 24" hose. If you don't have a little bit of #24 line, also known as cave line, they might be able to supply you with a couple of feet.
Premium Stainless Steel Snaps - Dive Gear Express

It does not take much to get an HP hose length just right for the individual. Larger, taller, and just out of personal preference divers seem to prefer a 26 inch over the 24 inch. The extra 2 inches makes a big difference for some. My doubles rig has a 24. Single tank is 26. No less clean and easier to see and manipulate, especially in a dry suit and diving singles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom