I've just realized...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimrundive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
How much of a WORLD of difference the Hollis F1 fins make!

I've tried using XL jet fins with chucks, with booties, trying to acommodate to them, everything. Hell even looking at the damn things brings me a feeling of disgust over all. If this is all they had back then then christ it must have sucked alot to swim back then.

NOW that being said... the Hollises are a complete 180 from the nerve racking negativity involved and associated with jet fins.

The moment I put my foot into the pocket with booties on... my my I felt exhilarated all around like I've found the one fin to rule them all. (Wonder if thats how cinderella must have felt like LOL)

Open water swimming with them was a shock indeed! I was used to feeling my legs grind through every stroke with the jets however, with the Hollis fins I felt like there was nothing there and at times I wondered if there was even a power ratio going on when I was swimming (At the time there was a decent current) BUT when I looked over from jetty to jetty I had crossed quite the distance and closed the gap between the two coming in at 5 minutes for a lap of 230m in current. I have to say this is a new feeling (sensations are more like it) that need some time getting used to because I honestly though the fins were going to fall off my feet and that they were flopping around doing nothing but looking over to the next jetty they sure were doing the job alright in providing the power necessary!

I have to say at least for me and my foot we do not fit in to the jet fin sensation that seems to be the thing for new divers (I fell into it). I highly suggest anyone who has been having trouble with jets to try hollis fins. You won't regret it.

I've ended up with the Mares Power Planas. I haven't dived the Hollis fins, but I've dived the Jets and the Dive Rite Exps (which I like for warm water), and the Mares fins are my favorites so far.

Funny as I have a decent number of dives on my Hollis F1's and am debating going back to my Jet fins. Both fins are locked onto my Chuck's, but the Jets feel snappier to me when frog kicking.

My F1's fit nicely and are very comfortable, providing plenty of push. On the other hand the Jets I bought have never fitted and sit unused on a shelf in my store.

P

I like the foot pocket and springs on the F1s, but they're just too long and bulky for me.

I wasn't a fan of the F-1s. The smallest size was slightly too big for me, the fins themselves too long, and I couldn't backfin to save my life. I am quite fond of my turtles however. This just goes to show, there isn't one fin for everyone

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom