What is the best shark dive you guys have ever done?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive in North Carolina and the shark action in these waters is awesome! I was wondering what are the best shark dives other folks have done. :coffee:

Yes, NC does have a lot of shark action, I am a neighbor in Virginia Beach, but I personally really liked my shark encounters with Stuart Cove in Nassau Bahamas as well as the Shark encounter with Zanadu in Freeport Bahamas. Zanadu did the shark trance which when they rubbed the snout of the shark it went perpendicular to the ocean floor and basically went to sleep. Quite awesome. Now I did those dives many many years ago and I am not sure if they are the same today. :):wink:

Yes, NC does have a lot of shark action, I am a neighbor in Virginia Beach, but I personally really liked my shark encounters with Stuart Cove in Nassau Bahamas as well as the Shark encounter with Zanadu in Freeport Bahamas. Zanadu did the shark trance which when they rubbed the snout of the shark it went perpendicular to the ocean floor and basically went to sleep. Quite awesome. Now I did those dives many many years ago and I am not sure if they are the same today. :):wink:

Cant decide between doing those or the shark dives in South Africa. Do you get to see Bull sharks on those dives in Bahamas or no?

Whale sharks in Belize, hammerheads in Galapagos, black tips in Eleuthera, and, as you know, sand tigers off the NC coast. Have yet to see a great white, though.

The best shark dive I've ever done didn't start as a "shark dive" just another dive off Panama City Beach, but then a hammerhead shark came by and became a magical shark dive. Nothing that I can write here can convey how cool it was, he hung around for a little bit with a small element of curiosity and then he left, I followed him a bit but couldn't keep up.

I also saw white tips (or was it black tips) off Hawaii, Bulls off Bahamas and Florida, but I've never done an actual "shark dive", just like I've never done a jewfish aggregation dive, or matting squid dives or baby manta ray surface swim, or all the other amazing dives I've been lucky to do.

I think the more you dive the higher are your chances of seeing the creature you want to see, I'm still hoping to be at the right time and place for a lobster walk.

Cocos: Hammerheads at Alcyone!!
The night dives with lots of white tips

Socorros: Hammerheads, silky, white tips, galapago sharks , and mantas in a single dive

Playa del Carmen: bull sharks.

Malpelo, on the exit side of the dive site "Cathedral". We were swimming out into the blue to meet the dive tender, when we were surrounded, like on all sides, plus above and below, by easily over 200 silkies, who just came to check us out. Many came within 2-3 meters, never threatening, just passively giving us the golden eyeball.

Couple days later, same dive site, exactly the same experience!

Attachments

• M3-4.jpg
    M3-4.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 354
Fishrock dive site near Southwest Rocks in Australia. 30+ sand tigers (aka ragged tooth, grey nurse...) in for their yearly convention. They will swim within inches of you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom