Diving below Hoover Dam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
It's a dive I have been thinking about doing for years. I have picked up the paperwork from the dive shops in the area but haven't talked to anyone who has done it.

When I was at one of the LDS they were making it sound like the Dory would be easier. When they found out I dive in Idaho they changed their tune it isn't bad at all just cold.

So before I fork out the $$ I'd like to know a little more from someone other than a LDS who stands to profit from it.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
It's a dive I have been thinking about doing for years.

I'd be willing to drape the hose across the back of a patio chair, point it toward the pool, turn on the water, and create a waterfall into the pool. The pool temp is still cold enough that it'll seem just like - uh - well - wherever that place is. I'll even join you; it'll be a good opportunity to use the drysuit. We can have the cats on standby as safety divers. Just say when and I'll set this up.

I'm here to serve!

MB has always been generous to a fault!!!

BTW, what's to see below or above the dam? Can you in fact dive above, or would you be sucked into the turbines? I hope to dive the Fontana Reservoir someday, and I am sure that there are issues relevant to all divers in these conditions.

MB:
I'd be willing to drape the hose across the back of a patio chair, point it toward the pool, turn on the water, and create a waterfall into the pool. The pool temp is still cold enough that it'll seem just like - uh - well - wherever that place is. I'll even join you; it'll be a good opportunity to use the drysuit. We can have the cats on standby as safety divers. Just say when and I'll set this up.

I'm here to serve!

Don't you have a tower to go hide in or a Tiki to polish?

The cats would be chasing the snakes in the bushes. How's the duck? Chuck and Henry are just fine and say "Squeek" (thats "HI" in rubber). :bounce:

By the way, Does this board know about you being, you know, the "A" thing? :wink:

Gary D.

NetDoc:
MB has always been generous to a fault!!!

BTW, what's to see below or above the dam? Can you in fact dive above, or would you be sucked into the turbines? I hope to dive the Fontana Reservoir someday, and I am sure that there are issues relevant to all divers in these conditions.

I was refering to below the dam and it is supposed to be some interesting diving. I don't know much more than that.

The other side is something like 6 or 700' deep. Hummmmm Nitrox at 3%? :54:

Gary D.

Gary D.:
I was refering to below the dam and it is supposed to be some interesting diving. I don't know much more than that.

The other side is something like 6 or 700' deep. Hummmmm Nitrox at 3%? :54:

Gary D.

It's has been many years since I did the dive and it was from a friend of a friends boat.

The most fun was an area called Ringbolt Rapids. Half the width of the river is a rapid with the other being more calm.

We were dropped in above the rapids and then shot the rapids underwater on scuba. Most of the dive was pretty shallow but at the end we dropped over an uw waterfall which if my memory is correct took us down to 60 feet.

We shot Ringbolt Rapids twice on the same tank and then did a drift dive in fairly clear water (~30 foot viz).

It was fun.

Marc Hall
www.enjoythedive.com
www.sdue.org

My only fear about diving under an active power generating dam, would be being pulled into the turbine inlets. That would really suck.

(just had to find a way to use that pun) :cheeky:

You would be a turbine charged diver... for a few brief seconds, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom