Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diving below Hoover Dam

Public Safety Diver

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos

Diving below Hoover Dam

It's a dive I have been thinking about doing for years. I have picked up the paperwork from the dive shops in the area but haven't talked to anyone who has done it.

When I was at one of the LDS they were making it sound like the Dory would be easier. When they found out I dive in Idaho they changed their tune it isn't bad at all just cold.

So before I fork out the $$ I'd like to know a little more from someone other than a LDS who stands to profit from it.

Gary D.
    What ever you do in life do it well and do it safe.

Scuba Instructor

Writing a self help book

Dives
    None - Not Certified
    Call Pat and Drew Bodden at Drews Dam Divers.
    Nice People.
    BTW as for th Doria thing at Hover ,Pat is a woman,very petite in size and she will give you a great dive !

Ron
    Ronnie - What a life ! Life's Short,Dive Hard.
    Adventure Sports
    Ron Brandt Adventure Tours
    Pelagic Ventures

MB
    Scuba Instructor

asks, "What's
    the frequency Kenneth?"

I'd be happy to help you prepare

Quote Originally Posted by Gary D.
    It's a dive I have been thinking about doing for years.
    I'd be willing to drape the hose across the back of a patio chair, point it toward the pool, turn on the water, and create a waterfall into the pool. The pool temp is still cold enough that it'll seem just like - uh - well - wherever that place is. I'll even join you; it'll be a good opportunity to use the drysuit. We can have the cats on standby as safety divers. Just say when and I'll set this up.

I'm here to serve!

Chairman of the Board

is dreamin about diving.

Photos
    MB has always been generous to a fault!!!

BTW, what's to see below or above the dam? Can you in fact dive above, or would you be sucked into the turbines? I hope to dive the Fontana Reservoir someday, and I am sure that there are issues relevant to all divers in these conditions.

Public Safety Diver

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by MB
    I'd be willing to drape the hose across the back of a patio chair, point it toward the pool, turn on the water, and create a waterfall into the pool. The pool temp is still cold enough that it'll seem just like - uh - well - wherever that place is. I'll even join you; it'll be a good opportunity to use the drysuit. We can have the cats on standby as safety divers. Just say when and I'll set this up.

I'm here to serve!

Don't you have a tower to go hide in or a Tiki to polish?

The cats would be chasing the snakes in the bushes. How's the duck? Chuck and Henry are just fine and say "Squeek" (thats "HI" in rubber).

By the way, Does this board know about you being, you know, the "A" thing?

Gary D.

Public Safety Diver

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by NetDoc
    MB has always been generous to a fault!!!

BTW, what's to see below or above the dam? Can you in fact dive above, or would you be sucked into the turbines? I hope to dive the Fontana Reservoir someday, and I am sure that there are issues relevant to all divers in these conditions.

I was refering to below the dam and it is supposed to be some interesting diving. I don't know much more than that.

The other side is something like 6 or 700' deep. Hummmmm Nitrox at 3%? :54:

Gary D.

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Quote Originally Posted by Gary D.
    I was refering to below the dam and it is supposed to be some interesting diving. I don't know much more than that.

The other side is something like 6 or 700' deep. Hummmmm Nitrox at 3%? :54:

Gary D.

It's has been many years since I did the dive and it was from a friend of a friends boat.

The most fun was an area called Ringbolt Rapids. Half the width of the river is a rapid with the other being more calm.

We were dropped in above the rapids and then shot the rapids underwater on scuba. Most of the dive was pretty shallow but at the end we dropped over an uw waterfall which if my memory is correct took us down to 60 feet.

We shot Ringbolt Rapids twice on the same tank and then did a drift dive in fairly clear water (~30 foot viz).

It was fun.

Marc Hall
    www.enjoythedive.com
    www.sdue.org

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    My only fear about diving under an active power generating dam, would be being pulled into the turbine inlets. That would really suck.

(just had to find a way to use that pun)
    A good instructor is not one who impresses students with the depth of their knowledge;
    Rather, they impresses upon students a depth of knowledge.
    (c. 2004)

Chairman of the Board

is dreamin about diving.

Photos
    You would be a turbine charged diver... for a few brief seconds, anyway.

Registered

Enjoying life.

Dives
    500 - 999

Drews not currently operating

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Brandt
    Call Pat and Drew Bodden at Drews Dam Divers.
    I had wanted to take this dive before with these folks. But now he is no longer operating. List it on his site as a haiatis due to a new job.
    http://www.damdivers.com/schedule.htm
    Last edited by pasley; February 29th, 2004 at 10:09 PM.
    Melvin Pasley
    LtCol (retired) US Army
    Life is what you do, not what you're going to do.
    Disabled Veterans SCUBA Project , Handicapped SCUBA Assoc (HSA) Instructor 3017 NAUI Instructor 50764

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast