Essentials for a save a dive kit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeter

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I am re-thinking my "Save a Dive Kit" to maximize functionality while minimizing weight and space. Yes, airlines are involved and at fourteen pounds, mine is too heavy. :( I would love the hear what everyone considers essential in their "Save a Dive Kit".

WD-40, duct tape, matches. Sometimes a Sharpie.

My Minimum:

O-Rings
Zip ties
CrystoLube
Batteries for Computer and Light
Fin strap
Multi-tool
Spare Mask

My kit:
Sunblock
O Rings
Defog
Band aids
Multi tool
Knife
Flashlight
Bottle opener
Koozie (for after I use the bottle opener)
I have a few other small odds and ends, but this seems to have worked so far.

Extra mouthpiece, 9/16" wrench. Needed both, have extra Atomic Cobalt hose, came in handy when the o ring blew on a 1st dive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I look at save a dive kits as 'what's apt to fail' and 'when ends my day if it does fail'.

For me, I bring a spare reg. Look at all the things it has! Spare hoses. Spare mouthpiece. Spare orings. Spare SPG. All things that you REALLY need to scuba dive. You can score a used scubapro mk(10,15,20) and a G250 on ebay for a few Benjamins. That and a spare power inflator (a $40 dollar item) with a few zipties and you're nearly unstoppable. Chuck an el cheapo Uwatec bottom timer in your bag and even a computer failure can't stop you. Plus those things last for like 10 years.

I always travel with 2 masks, and I put spring straps on my fins because they're pretty much unbreakable. My harness has just a single metal weightbelt buckle thats unlikely to break, and if it does I can cannibalize a weightbelt at the dive location.

- 2 6" adjustable wrenches
- Spare o-rings
- Allen keys for my regs
- Extra mouthpiece
- Zip tie
- Lighter
- Bungee cord

DSCN0610.jpg

The line is #48 small stuff tied into a Prussic loop. Damn handy. The file modified screwdriver is for tightening valve stem nuts just so they don't decide to fly off before your dive. The blue memory stick gets a lot of use when sharing pics...

Now for my "Black box"... Uh, you are now overweight and the TSA is getting antsy... :wink:

What I take varies between home and travel.

For home, DIN O-rings, a ScubaTool, zipties, a set of Allen wrenches, a Pro valve insert, some cave line and some silicone lube seem to suffice.

Travel, I'm kind of with AJ, although I don't bring a whole spare regulator. I do bring a whole spare canister light if we are cave diving. Matches, a voltmeter, spare Anderson connectors, spare boltsnaps, spare inner tube, a spindle . . . the SAD kit has grown as the list of things which have delayed or prevented dives has lengthened.

Back
Top Bottom