How many have seen dolphins on their dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djtimmy77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just curious what other's experiences are...

On Saturday we saw two bottlenose dolphin mid-way into our dive, in 75-80ft of water off Juno Beach, FL. One was playing with (terrorizing) a spadefish.

It was an awesome experience, and they are a lot bigger than I thought they would be.

First time we have ever seen them under water...of course, we didn't bring a camera this time, but that allowed us to just float and watch them.

[video=youtube_share;MbXR_qxlR5E]http://youtu.be/MbXR_qxlR5E[/video]
See at 8:30 in to the movie. We encountered this family in the Red Sea, quite close to Hurghada. The stayed with us for over 10 min. Absolutely adorable.

Dolphins and porpoises on the SoCal coast are often a mile or two out at sea in open water. It is somewhat rare for us to see them inshore out here on Catalina. I do remember a dive when they came in and swam around us, but the visibility was so bad and they were so fast I was lucky to get a glimpse of a second or three. I have on rare occasions seen them enter our dive park though when they knew the coast was clear (that is I was topside and not in the water).

I have been diving for 30 years. I have worked in South Florida, Fiji, the Solomon Islands, all over the Caribbean, and Indonesia. Heck, I lived on a canal on Fort Myers Beach where I saw wild dolphins out my window almost every day. I've seen hammerheads, whale sharks, tiger sharks, more mantas than I can count, manatees, dugongs, almost every cool macro thing you can imagine...the list goes on forever.

I have had the most fortunate diving life, but it drives me freakin' crazy that I have never seen a wild dolphin on scuba. Arrrgh.

I've seen wild dolphins when I was in Curacao. One particular sighting was really enjoyable... A pod swam around us chattering and checking us out for a few minutes. Some were within 10', some a little bit farther away. They seemed to be playing all the time and "smiling". Before they swam away, 2 dolphins who were playing with each other swam back to back to the surface to get some air. It's something I still see in my mind.

To me, dolphins are one of the best things to see while diving. They're cognizant of you in a way that is different than the other life forms you encounter underwater. The energy they give off seems more in tune with our own... Can't get enough dolphin sightings.

Saw a pod while diving near Dry Tortugas on board the Ultimate Getaways.

Just curious what other's experiences are...

On Saturday we saw two bottlenose dolphin mid-way into our dive, in 75-80ft of water off Juno Beach, FL. One was playing with (terrorizing) a spadefish.

It was an awesome experience, and they are a lot bigger than I thought they would be.

First time we have ever seen them under water...of course, we didn't bring a camera this time, but that allowed us to just float and watch them.

We dropped near some dolphins the next day, but no one got lucky enough to see them under water. You guys were smiling ear to ear on the surface. You guys looked like kids in a candy store.

I've seen dolphins underwater three times in Cozumel. Once at Chunchakaab, once at Dalila, and most recently at Maracaibo.

Here's a little video if you like. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-VHchdAZ04

Yes, in Utila. What I found most interesting about them is their incessant high-pitched chatter. I wonder what they were saying about us?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom