Resetting computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cellowithgills

Registered
Reaction score
Went freediving yesterday with my new Mares Puck and it's giving me a no fly and desat time. I can just reset it if I want to go diving on scuba again, right?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

It's also giving me shorter bottom times.

It's also giving me shorter bottom times.

Computers are like religion. If you believe it, you believe it. If not, you don't.

If you're getting shorter bottom times, it's because the computer thinks you have absorbed nitrogen.

Believe it or not, that's your choice.

OTOH, the only way I'm aware of to actually reset it is to remove the battery for a few days, at which point it would have cleared you anyway.

flots.

The puck has a residual nitrogen reset function, so it's much easier that that. Just wasn't sure if other freedivers did this as well.

Why do you wear a computer to free-dive? The purpose of the computer is to calculate nitrogen absorption which isn't needed with free-diving.

If you want to use it just to track depth for free diving then I suggest you put it in bottom timer mode. You can move it back to gauge when you scuba dive.

Went freediving yesterday with my new Mares Puck and it's giving me a no fly and desat time. I can just reset it if I want to go diving on scuba again, right?
Yes, in the context that the computer assumed you were breathing compressed air and ongassing nitrogen - which you weren't (shouldn't have been) as a free diver.

You should be able to pull the battery for a few seconds, and have it reset - I am not familiar with computers that will take days to reset with the battery out. I reset my HeLO2 or my Dive Rite Nitek He by pulling the battery for 10 seconds, then putting it back in.

Why do you wear a computer to free-dive? The purpose of the computer is to calculate nitrogen absorption which isn't needed with free-diving.

I used it for depth, time, and temp.

For those who mix scuba with free diving, it is probably preferable to wear the computer to accurately keep track of N2 loading. After all, a free diver may be increasing N2 loading during his dives. Aat a minimum, he changes the rate of off-gassing.

It seems to me that this residual N2 reset is more for a computer that is being cleared as it is passed on to another diver, like a rental computer. I doubt if it is meant for the purposed the OP intends. As soon as you go into the dive mode, N2 begins loading and No-fly and desaturation algorithms may be activated. You probably should trust your computer on this one.

From your manual:SET DATA - DELETE TISSUE
 WARNING
This option is intended only for highly
experienced divers. Users who clear the
residual nitrogen memory cannot use the
instrument for repetitive dives. After this
operation, do not dive with PUCK if you
have already dived within the previous
24 hours.

---------- Post added August 19th, 2014 at 01:53 PM ----------

Yes, in the context that the computer assumed you were breathing compressed air and ongassing nitrogen - which you weren't (shouldn't have been) as a free diver.

How do you figure that????

Alert Diver | Could Breath-Hold Diving after Scuba Cause Decompression Sickness?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom